Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Zanzibar, Tanzania

TANZANIA | Monday, 11 April 2011 | Views [417]

4th to 10th April 2011

Zanzibar, Tanzania

Stone Town

“Forty camels, I want forty camels…”

“Yees, big man, deerty only, deerty bes price”…

The sun was beating down and the pavement in the slave market was sweltering as a prelude to this afternoon’s storm…if we didn’t settle soon I would fall over and the Zanzibar princess would be re-classified as damaged goods!  Stuff it, let’s do what Aussies are best at, we’ll meet in the middle, thirty-five camels for me and he gets his princess to sell into the fleshpots of the Near East.  But the blighter wouldn’t budge…

“deerty camels maximum price if no have papers…”

Papers, papers….this place is swamped with certificates that no one ever actually reads, or uses…grrr….so, in true Aussie fashion I said “stuff it” and walked back to the Swahili hotel to freshen the princess up for another crack at 40 camels tomorrow….there is a limit!  What would you have done?

So what do you want to know about Stone Town?

Freddie Mercury born and grew up here.  His stage-name “Mercury” taken from the NASA Mercury program aiming to get first Yank in space – one of the 16 earth track/control stations located on Zanzibar!

David Livingstone stayed here, alive, on his way into Ujiji on his second expedition and was escorted back, dead, awaiting a London-bound ship to Westminster Abbey after succumbing to malaria in western Zambia.

The whips used to test the courage of slaves while tied to the whipping post in the market was the tail of a stingray…very rough and nasty!

Why was it that whilst the Brits were exporting convicts to Australia throughout 1778 – 1874 they were importing slaves from Africa? 

Zanzibar was the quarantine detention point for the whole of British East Africa…Chenngu Island (aka Prison Is.) the site of Zanzibar’s first prison, became the quarantine station before it ever housed a prisoner.  We took a wooden dhow across.  The water is clear, the beaches pure white, thanks to the parrot fish digesting coral and converting it into fine white sand.  Another fascinating thing about this island is the Giant Land Turtle Conservatory.  For US$ 4 you have entry onto the island and the penned turtle area where you can walk freely amongst the many turtles and can feed them and stroke their necks.  One was 185 years old (it must have been hiding).  There were a few around 125yo and many younger turtles. 

Stone Town is a ramshackle maze of alleyways and dilapidated buildings with a photo opportunity at every turn and a very friendly, happy population.  The town is well known for its beautifully carved doors, its seafood, spices, restaurants and tourism.  With a high muslim population, we often heard the call for prayer from the nearby mosques.  There were many women and girls in full clothing and veils, whilst boys and men wore long robes and the fez.

Matemwe, East coast of Zanzibar.

We took off for 2 nights to the east coast to the village of Matemwe with the intention of doing a couple of reef dives.  Before arriving at the village we drove past a huge area of old coral, which extends to about 5 kms back from the coast.  Long ago did the island (tectonic plates) rise or did the sea level drop?  We never found out the answer, but the coral was widespread and about 5m above sea level.  There were even coral overhangs onto the beach nearby.....so much for rising sea levels here. We stayed at Seles Bungalows on the beach where the sand is white and the water turquoise.  The local people are growing crops (rice, pineapples, bananas, maize) and fishing (for octopus, king fish, tuna and shellfish).  There is very little meat available on this island.

Mnembe reef is a half hour boat trip out from Matemwe in a large wooden dhow (motorized).  You can snorkel or scuba.  The water is warm, the visibility fantastic and the viewing was great – we took 2 dives to 20m.  There were soft and hard coral and schools of yellow and white fish, angelfish, clownfish, groper, lionfish, a trigger fish, parrot fish, small moray eels, sea cucumbers and more. 

We farewelled the east coast and returned for one night in Stone Town again, dinner at The House of Spices, and took the ferry the next afternoon to Dar es Salaam to catch the flight to Jo’Burg.

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.