Existing Member?

World on a Shoestring A beginnger's guide to traveling around the world...as written by beginners...

The End and the Beginning

USA | Saturday, 13 January 2007 | Views [1643]

Come 5 o'clock this afternoon, I will no longer be under the employ of Immaculata University; I will be liberated from it's death grip on me, free to explore my city for the next two weeks until Genny's last day on the 26th of this month, at which point we will buckle down and tie up all loose ends in preperation for departure.  Over the next few weeks we have several things planned:  I'm going to Florida, to Disney World, to work tomorrow, and at the end of next week, we'll be going to see Bob Sagat's stand-up comedy at a club in Philly.  After that, we have a few going away parties in our honor, and then we leave!


With our departure creeping up on me, I suspect that even in plain sight, it'll be a surprise when the day finally arrives and it comes time for us to leave; I'll be sure to video tape the scene that goes down at the airport that day and post it here for everyone's veiwing pleasure.


I hate admit it, but I'm apprehensive about quitting my job.  I don't to give the impression that I am sad about leaving IU; it's time for me to go, and other than my coworkers (and free lunches), there's not much that I'm going to miss.  But, there's a sense of free fall that comes with abandoning the staedy paycheck and the security of regularity and replacing it with the absolute of the unkown.  There's two sides to the coin when it comes to steady employment:  on one hand, the monotony of the daily grind is universally enfuriating.  On the other hand, to be able to look into the not-so-distant-future and be able to see that things will continue to stay the same; those paychecks will keep rolling in, gives inner peace.

Here goes my inner-peace...

Tags: Philosophy of travel

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.