Existing Member?

World on a Shoestring A beginnger's guide to traveling around the world...as written by beginners...

Return to Home

USA | Thursday, 14 December 2006 | Views [1219] | Comments [1]

I had a dream the other night. While the entire content of the dream escapes me, the highlights bear some significance. In this dream, I was charged with the task of painting a painting and penning a poem. Alliteration aside, I can't recollect the content of the poem, though I can recall completing my tasks with the aide of allies. I say allies, and hesitate to use the word friends as it was apparent in this dream that these were people I did not know who's help I was too seek out and employ. I have no memory of the poem, but the painting stands out in my mind as a vibrant and rich piece of art. If I had the ability, I would re-produce it, but alas, I am not the most artistically inclined individual. The painting was of a burning bush in the foreground; the flames, made up of the technicolor reds and yellows seen in desert sunsets, consumed the few penetrating branches contained within the frame. Aft of this bizarre conflagration could be seen the blazing sun and vibrant blue sky that typically forecasts spring. Extrapolate from that what you will. Were this 2000 years ago, I could claim to be a prophet for having dreams of this nature!

This dream comes at a serendipitous time for me and my brother. Come Sunday, he and I will be leaving for a 10 day campaign through our homeland, Israel. We are traveling with and through Mayanot, a group that works with Birthright Israel. Since 2000, birthright has worked with the Israeli government, private philanthropists, and local Jewish federations to help provide free trips to Israel for Jewish young adults. While the idea of going to Israel is exciting for me, I’m not sure the reality of the trip has hit me yet...I’m sure that sometime during the 11 hour flight it will...should be great...

According to the itinerary provided, the trip seems to be well organized, as, I assume, a trip of this nature would have to be, considering where we're traveling. Too often, upon hearing where I’m headed for the next two weeks, people give me a skewed look and say, "Really? Why? Is it safe to go right now?" This is an ignorant comment, birthed by ignorance nurtured by the American media. The general population believes what they see on TV, and if asked, the status quo's view of Israel is that of a fear-stricken, war torn country: they see Israel as a place where explosions erupt as frequently as church bells in America, and you're just as likely to be the victim of a terrorist attack as you are a bee sting. I liken this to saying it is dangerous to visit New Jersey because Camden has been voted one of the top five worst places to live in America. This is not the case. In fact, New Jersey is a very beautiful place to live. (I compare New Jersey and Israel because they happen to be about the same size...and shape, for that matter.) Contemporary Israel is a fun, safe, civilized, cultural place to visit, from what I understand. In the 113,000 participants Birthright has sent over since its beginnings in 2006, none have been involved in any sort of incident...knock on wood...I'll let you know how it goes...

But I digress. The trip looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. With young Jewish adults all over the world getting together to celebrate their heritage, it should prove to be a very educational and enlightening trip. We are slotted to see all of the Old Testament backdrops, as well as every other place of significant religiosity. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the Western Wall (The Kotel), the last remaining wall of the Second Temple in Old Jerusalem, erected after Solomon's First Temple was raized by the Babylonians, dating back about 2500 years! The trip also includes trips to Tel Aviv, and a night in a Bedouin campsite and at a Kibbutz. I'm psyched.

I'd like to take this time to voice an opinion that's been marinating since I found out I had been accepted into the program. It came to my attention that the leader of our group is a Chabad-Lubavitch Rabbi from the University of Cincinnati. Half of the group we'll be a part of consists of members of his Chabad house. Chabad Jews are a bit more religious than us Reforms, and I’m a bit concerned that this trip is going to be themed in a way that I’m not familiar with, or, to be honest, all that enthusiastic about. I would prefer to be with Jews of a like mind, than with Jews who practice and believe differently than I do. I'm apprehensive that the activities and programs we participate in may be centered around religion more than tradition or education. My fears were further magnified when, at a meeting last night, another leader from a different group touted how proud he was that he leads his group with as little religious influence as possible. What does that imply? I have no problems with Lubavitch Jews, on the contrary, i admire their dedication. But, i would just prefer to be on a trip with people who's priorities are more parallel to my own. Hopefully, i'll be proved wrong. Oye...

Well, I’ll be gone for about ten days. With, I assume, no access to a computer, I'll be writing down my daily goings-on in my personal journal, and upon my return, will be posting everything then.

Here's looking forward to a great trip!

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

Jake-
I felt your same reservations about goign with a Chabbad Rabbi. But now after the trip, I dont feel like it was geared that way at all. What do you think now after returning from the trip?
Sharee

  sharee Jan 5, 2007 1:59 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.