Existing Member?

Are we there yet?

Same same but different.

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 14 July 2010 | Views [2131] | Comments [1]

Bogan blood bond.

Bogan blood bond.

I'm working up a sweat just thinking about what to write. That's not because I'm whipping my brain like a pack horse, it's just a constant by-product of life in Broome. Compared to Hobart, it's like living inside an active volcano. Given that my body spent the last few months fattening up for hibernation by eating Grizzly Bear size servings, the latest acclimatisation has been more challenging for the extra insulation I am carrying around. A week of sweating and summer salad rations has helped bring my body back to being buffed like a bean pole.

There hadn't been much of a wet season in my absence, although Mother Nature was still wringing the last few drops out of the clouds when I arrived. They were more like summer showers than severe storms and their only significance was equalling the amount of times it rained in the whole 8 months I was here last year. As I write this, six weeks after arriving, there has only been two cloudy days, and they both happened to fall on my days off.

Once the wedding was done in Melbourne, I couldn't get out of there fast enough once I was over-exposed to my bogan heritage. My sister was still proudly sporting a 'Sweathog' jumper that was given to her by our 18 years deceased Grandfather, adding a degree of relevant nostalgia to it. The age of the garment gives those oblivious to the 'Sweathog' fad an indication of how long ago it actually happened. It was too much reality to bear, and I had to bail before an over exposure 'Sweathog' lead to the boganisation of my own wardrobe.

After a week in Melbourne, I was on a plane to Broome. Nothing miraculous happened in transit, other than actually boarding the plane on time, but the time flying gave me a chance to transmogrify my misgivings about leaving Hobart into excitement about returning to Broome. Such anticipation felt justified as I stepped off the plane and into my adopted home's warm embrace. So many friends from last year had stayed on, or returned for better reasons than merely seeing me again, although I derived a degree of comfort from thinking that such was the case at the time.

Within 2 days or arriving though, I was back in the uncomfortable position of being employed. The very day I decided I wanted to pursue my interest in coffee making upon returning to Broome, my old boss from Matsos called offering me the very same work I had decided upon pursuing. Happy to repeat myself, in verse and experience, I willingly accepted. Even though I was returning to the same business, my station in life was to improve rather dramatically. From the lowly depths of the dish pit, I walked into a morning bar and restaurant supervisor's position. Cha-ching! It's not all smiling faces and fat pay checks though. I'm expected to work more than 40 hours a week, and I have a degree of responsibility that most people accept as part of adult life by age 25 at the latest. The signs are not good that I'm going to accept that notion any time soon.

And the staff accommodation I was promised has turned out the be the housing equivalent of cancer. The house is terminal, and any sane person would quarantine it with the appropriate authority, or humanely burn it to the ground out of pity. The place is pretty much featureless unless you count all of the stains as being part of the character. More holes in the floor than floor boards would offer any number of biting terrors free and easy access to our blood were the house not perilously raised upon stilts. Such aeroguard-free living becomes redundant when the increased height furthers the risk of tipping the house over mid shag given all its constituent parts are only being held together by collective will.

Thankfully enough, the common denominator of the last 5 years of my life has helped me overlook such petty concerns about survival. Reuniting with close friends and making wonderful new friends has made living in a place that makes Satan's toilet look like Shangri-la, and working in a restaurant whose quiet times are busier than most places at their peak, worth only mentioning for the sake of being able to have a whine. With no cheese to compliment my whine, and no time to mention everyone worthy of mention, I will conclude this entry with a heartfelt thanks that I am as far away from my sisters sweathog jumper that I am able to get without leaving the country.

Tags: friends, work

Comments

1

Harry - I stumbled upon your blog as I was purchasing some travel insurance (hey, it happens!). You write brilliantly, and I enjoyed reading a number of your entries. Feeling mildly voyeuristic as a result, but well worth the read. Keep it up, and good luck with the book!

  Di Aug 4, 2010 2:40 PM

About homeless_harry

A new profile picture was well overdue

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.