Existing Member?

Are we there yet?

Pointless ramblings PART er.. lost count.

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 27 January 2010 | Views [683] | Comments [1]

Me pre-epiphany intoxication

Me pre-epiphany intoxication

Hangover day number four in a row. I fell out of my bunk bed at 11am and sparked a joint to dull the throbbing in my head. I needed a serious caffeine injection just to stop slumber from reclaiming me as I typed. I haven't even thought of work, let alone made an effort to find any. The electrical soup of my thoughts struggled to find some reason not to just give up and let me spend the day as a blissfully ignorant moron.

Strangely enough, such a junkyard brain often tosses up amazing nuggets of wisdom. Even though smoking subtly changed from a source of inspiration to a sower of stupidity, it is still a seed of introspection as well. Truth be told, it was the main catalyst for this move to Tasmania. Wrapped in a thin sheet in the air conditioned darkness of my Broome bedroom, and a thick veil of stoner bliss, I was pondering the future for my nomadic existence. Out of the quagmire of dreams and counter theories came a flash of clarity. An image so exact and focused, my recall of it could be compared to, say, the accidental sighting of a hobo's broken zip letting his air plane leave its hangar. The same sort of lucidity that is strangely lacking when you get a good eye full of some topless stunner sunning herself on the beach.

Feeling the need to share such a transcendental insight with others so easily influenced, I appeared before my house mates, robed like a munted messiah desparately seeking some disciples. My idea was met with far more approval than my toga party appearance was, and the message garnered enough support to see it through to fruition. Thus, I celebrated my powers of divination with another serve of holy smoke that rendered me redundant as a conduit of providence. And for better or worse, unconscious.

But, as I sat in rare Hobart sun listening to brain cells dying, I realised I had hit the bottom again. The devout Buddhist meditating four hours a day 10 years ago would probably be mortified at the sacrilegious stoner I was now. My dwindling money was stimulating the local economy, but not my motivation. I was boozing like alcohol was the elixir of life, not the antithesis of it, and I was smoking mainly for the sake of 'religious observance'. I'm not yet destitute and homeless, but that's not rock bottom for me; that's game over.

Rock bottom is realising I am not doing what life wants me to do. Nor am I even looking to. Moving to Brisbane eight years ago, I managed to avoid changing anything but my postal address for about two months. Such a Herculean effort of denial should have won some sort of award, but no, it's only benefit was showing me how bad I can let things get before I decide to do something about it. It's not laziness as such, its just not trusting that I am doing the right thing by putting myself out there for change. And not seeking to make the most of the opportunities presented. No matter what the situation, a positive can always come of it. A four day bender was obviously the right tonic for me to see that a four day bender is not a constructive use of a life like mine.

So what is a constructive use of a life like mine? I'm too Jim Morrison right now to answer that question and lets be fair, one realisation at a time please. I'm happy enough knowing that I can see the destructive direction of the last few days.....er, months, and I am inherently too motivated to keep denying a truth once it has become painfully aware to me.

My time in Hobart is to be a working holiday, as unsure as I am which ones of those two will be emphasised. Life is a holiday when you live somewhere different every six months, make new friends, change jobs, fall in love, piss away every penny you earn and generally avoid anything that qualifies as commitment. The uncertainty, loss, and unknown risks do scare many off I know, but would you take more risks if you knew you were dying and this was the only life we have? A Pink Floyd lyric sums it up succinctly by stating we're all “one day closer to death”. I may choose to settle down sooner rather than later, and doing so may finally spare the world from my inane stoner dribble.

Comments

1

Time to get published & get rich then! Keep at it, your writing style cracks me up (in a good way).
Cheers,

  stowaway Jan 28, 2010 10:26 AM

About homeless_harry

A new profile picture was well overdue

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.