Existing Member?

Are we there yet?

Crazies chase me away from the cornfields.

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 15 March 2009 | Views [6642]

Shane spares us from the horror of his real face and demonstrates how demanding the work is in the corn fields.

Shane spares us from the horror of his real face and demonstrates how demanding the work is in the corn fields.

The train to Melbourne rattles soothingly along the tracks that carve through a brown and barren Victorian countryside. The environment is dried to the point of kindling combustibility, but it seems that luck alone saved the area from the apocalyptic fires that scorched other parts of the state. Domesticated animals siphon any available nutrition out of the desolate fields, and their dilapidated barb wired boundaries steal the land from the native inhabitants. Sparse trees offer variety to the monotony I watch pass by, but bring little relief to shade starved animals that seek shelter from a harsh Australian sun.

Long distance travel often offers a great opportunity to sleep, read, write and most importantly, introspection. Shane always ops for the first option, leaving me free to spend the time on this trip as I see fit. Unfortunately, an elderly lady is using the train as a chance to give her captive audience an exhaustive run down on everything that has ever happened to her, or her amazingly talented children. She didn't seem to have a particular destination, and is probably using the trip as a purely social outing. She had already displayed the questionable nature of her intelligence by asking the most suspect looking character on the train, me, to guard her things while she went to the toilet. I felt like riffling through her possessions on principle, but the people around me had already taken too much interest in how such a sketchy looking dude was going to handle being so ruthlessly harassed by family photos.

Being trapped next to her, I didn't WANT to be anti-social, but the desire wasn't strong enough to stop me from BEING anti-social. Luckily, technology has made some stunning advances in the field of anti-social behaviour and I used my MP3 to maximum effect. It gave her cause to pause, then she continued on in a raised voice to ensure that I, and the entire cabin continued to enjoy the benefit of her wisdom.

It's hard to write, let alone think, with music blaring so loudly in your ears but I wasn't prepared to completely fill my head with someone else's opinions and experiences. Thankfully I feel sufficiently inspired by finally leaving Orbost, albeit three months earlier than I thought I would be. My bad luck charm continues to effect every farm I work on as the corn pollination run out after just four weeks. It seemed like a shame at first as the work was easy, the weather was pleasant, the people were friendly and the corn itself was absolutely delicious. I used to think that all corn was just corn, but there is such a wealth of variety that it seems remarkable that particular strains are not marketed for the differences.

I was disappointed to be leaving at first, but once I got used the idea, the universe started giving me plenty of reasons to celebrate the fact. Firstly, a few days off quickly helped us to discover there is absolutely zero to do in Orbost to entertain yourself. Other than just getting pissed. Or dreaming of how soon you can get the hell out of there. Secondly, the pub owner decided on a personal whim to change his initial offer of $45 a week refund if we stayed at least four weeks, to a stingier 10% off the total amount we paid. His size and surliness convinced us to cheerfully agree that $67.50 was far better for us than the $180 we thought we were getting.

With my wandering eye and runaway libido tempered by a lady too smart to come to Orbost, the only things I did with women were platonic. And thankfully so. Never had I heard the term 'bunny boiler' used so liberally. Never has its use seemed so applicable as well. In small towns everybody knows each other, and everybody has already slept with everyone else half decent. Speculation and rumours were rife. It seems stalking was an accepted form of courtship. I did a double take of one hot Mum, largely because she only had one kid instead of the three or more that every other teenager had there, and a few people later detailed the possible repercussions of the act that had been discussed ad naseum amongst the community.

One girl inexplicably took such a shine to me, the word marriage was thrown around far too many times for me to feel comfortable. Admittedly, I feel nervous if it is mentioned once, and even if it has nothing to do with me, and how anyone could consider someone so commitment phobic as me the marrying kind simply boggles my mind. I spent enough time with her to determine how much of a threat she posed, and I'll sleep better back in Melbourne not having to guess whether the night time noises out my bedroom window are affected by a fertile imagination or basic survival instinct.

Four years ago I had a prolonged de tangling from a relationship that had soured to the point of toxicity, and soon after I hit the road and embraced a lifestyle of transience. I soon came to realise that a large part of the appeal of this sort of lifestyle was the impossibility of commitment. Instead of having to explain my unwanted yet undeniable misogamy, my constant movement rather succinctly justified my reluctance to become emotionally involved. Yeah it's escapism, but the upside of my time with the Queen of Irrationality was being shown the pleasure of being a traveling bachelor, and the fact that the only person affected is me.


Tags: on the road

About homeless_harry

A new profile picture was well overdue

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.