Existing Member?

Are we there yet?

Black & Gold budget envy.

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 19 October 2008 | Views [1695] | Comments [1]

Me looking every bit like Mr. Happy on my singlet, and Julia sporting a black & gold dress unrelated in branding and cost to said budget label.

Me looking every bit like Mr. Happy on my singlet, and Julia sporting a black & gold dress unrelated in branding and cost to said budget label.

Literary productivity has dipped recently as hard work and hedonistic pleasures have superseded creative output and coherent thought. Some cosmic governing body decreed that frivolity and fortune seeking was my new karmic currency after over investing in its opposite, depression and destitution. That state of affairs in Melbourne brought on my economic (and spiritual) recession that preceded the current global crisis in a manner too similar to be coincidental. Or most likely, completely unrelated.

My financial recovery is far from complete but at least sirens no longer accompany every eftpos transaction. Had I been mining the treasure trove available to every backpacker in the form of the Black & Gold, or Home Brand label, I would presently be contemplating jaunts to foreign destinations. Instead I have my head fractionally above water, just far enough to see that work will remain the theme for the next few months. Everyone in the hostel has embraced the savings that can be made from buying exactly the same product, in far less fancy garb, that the swish looking packaging that brands me and my patronage of it as a flash packer.

My bunk mate for the duration of my Bowen stay has moved on to greener grass, bluer oceans and less work orientated situations thanks to her savings dwarfing my own. After arriving on the same bus as me, Julia did virtually the same things as me and hence, she had similar expenditure. This was due largely to my fellow slaves banding together in a social group to ease the pain of each working day in a warmer corner of Hells kitchen. Thanks to Black & Gold's budget building characteristics, Julia managed to fatten her bank balance almost three times more than I have been able to.

After constant jibes from me about her entire pantry looking like a supermarket display for its cheapest brand, I've quickly realised who is having the last laugh. Perhaps I should have been hitting the goon bag. Perhaps my organic muesli had the same flavour and nutrition as her quarter-of-the-price B&G oat and fruit extravaganza. Even more likely is a similar end result to what any of us ate given how much alcohol is consumed on a regular basis.

And yet the flash packer mindset prevails. Something in my constitution totally forbids me from even trying to compromise present living standards for the benefit of future rewards. Tubs of fresh tabouleh don't come in single coloured labels. If I am going to drink coffee, it is not going to be instant stuff that could also be used to clean engine oil off the concrete driveway. If an occasion is good enough to warrant an alcoholic beverage, I owe it to my taste buds to treat them to a nice beer or whiskey, and not a slightly more sterile version of possum piss in a goon bag.

So out of necessity, my stay in Bowen may extend until the end of the season. As our farm has started picking it's final patch of tomatoes, the end of the season could be as soon as five weeks away. I had planned to leave in two weeks and see what Cairns had to offer me in the way of less crippling job opportunities. That decision nearly left the Board of Ideas when the work load went from mildly taxing, to each shift ending with me feeling like I've had a lobotomy.

The critical point happened long enough ago for me to be able to think about it without being forced into a twitching fetal position. After showing up for work, we all spent three hours trying to look busy with importance in our gait and a broom in our hands. The computerised back bone of the tomato sorting and packing behemoth had gone non-binary and had brought productivity to a cuss-riddled halt. With every surface clean enough to eat off, we were made to sit around for two hours waiting and looking deliberately non-productive.

Finally the computer decided to abandon its picket line and work started in earnest at noon. By 2:30am the following morning we stacked the last pallet away. Certain work orders had undergone the sort of 'purple monkey dishwasher' alterations that happens with Chinese whispers as directives passed down through ever lower forms of life. Work was done that shouldn't have been, insults had been traded that couldn't be taken back, and the owners ended up with a bigger profit than they had any right to expect.

The bungled chain of command had given the night shift a night off, and not told them their hours for the following day. As some of us appeared to have a small degree of locomotive control in our delirium, we were instructed to return to work three hours later. Were this nightmare to be true, I swore to myself that it would be the final 4x2 to fall on the back of my camel of tolerance.

Unfortunately I swear so much these days that I quickly forgot the significance of the oath. Shane saw the stupidity and illegal nature of returning to work so soon, and slept well past our follow up consultation with Satan. By this stage no one was capable of affecting an appearance of conscious body control and blame for the situation started to pass back along the same rusty and unreliable chain of command.

We were compassionately granted leave by people who failed to grasp the fact that it would have been more compassionate to have not expected us to come back to work in the first place. So we spent 25 hours out of 28 at work, and still the workforce remains the same. I've given up asking myself why no one quit, least of all me, and focus instead upon a wage that accumulates savings AND avoids a Black & Gold orientated diet.

Tags: friends, philosophy of travel, work

Comments

1

Ahh I love this photo of you 2. xx

  Kaz Oct 28, 2008 12:30 PM

About homeless_harry

A new profile picture was well overdue

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.