Existing Member?

Bec and Toms European Adventure

PART TWO.. (part three is coming, i promise!)

BULGARIA | Monday, 5 October 2015 | Views [232] | Comments [1]

Greetings…. one month down the track. Yes, part 2 of the last leg of the trip may have slipped my mind, but here it is! It’s never too late to relive the memories, plus its kind of nice for me go back now and write about it, otherwise i sit here at home thinking what the heck have i done this year, and why is it already october?! 

 
So, i left you all at Montenegro, where we flew out of Podgerico, to Istanbul where we got a feed at the airport, then boarded our next plane to Sofia, Bulgaria! Bulgaria was a last minute decision that we squeezed in to the itinerary, one decision that we probably would not have made if it were just Tom and I, but in a group it seemed reasonable.. another place to tick off the list. With a slightly delayed flight, we rocked up to Sofia later than planned, around 10pm, and found ourselves a couple of taxis to get us to our apartment for the night. We found a taxi, a little Bulgarian lady, who we jumped into her car.. only to notice that the ID card on her dashboard was a photo of a big fat man, and not her… we then told her where we were staying and she gave us a ‘not very confident’ nod.. and so we drove… and drove.. and then we started driving down back streets… and then things started to feel a little suss… and then she slowed down when a ‘pimp’ looking man walked past the car… and then she put my window down… and then i thought i was going to be sold… **dying on the inside**… turns out she just had close to no idea where we were going and had to put down my window to be able to suss out the streets we were on… and eventually we turned up at our lovely apartment where a man with a huge scar down his face welcomed us… we hopped ourselves straight into bed and got some shut eye.
 
Sofia was pretty much just a stop over so that we could to Sunny Beach where we planned on staying in Bulgaria.. so then next morning we got up nice and early to go to the bus station and get a bus there.. there was limited to no information on buses/trains/anything on the internet so we were pretty much winging it… got to the bus station only to find that the bus didn’t leave for another 3 hours, and it was going to take us 8 hours!! Or… we could go back to the airport and get a 40 minute flight straight there and get there before the bus was even going to leave… job done. So, we booked a flight quickly, did some shopping to waste some time, then boarded our flight to Sunny Beach!
 
A lovely taxi driver picked us up from the airport and drove us the 40 minute drive to Sunny Beach, where we had a resort hotel room booked.. with a pool.. it was nothing fancy, I’ve stayed in nicer hostels.. but it was a bed and our own bathroom and we had a pool just outside of our bedroom door so no complaints. Sunny Beach was definitely different..it was a mixed feeling of Caval Avenue during schools, a carnival and Bali, but filled with British holiday bogans, cheap cheap cheap! It was a bit of fun, however I’m not sure i would recommend it as a holiday destination for you! We stayed here for 3 nights, relaxing by the pool.. shishas… late nights out and swimming down the streets through the biggest pour down I’ve ever been in.. literally, the streets were drowning in rain after an hour, i think they need to improve their drainage system! After our few nights here, we were ready to leave and head to our most anticipated destination..TURKEY… 

Comments

1

Great read as usual, glad you didn't get sold!!! Scar face sounds a little scary also. Look forward to the next instalment xxxx

  Gai Oct 7, 2015 6:38 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Bulgaria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.