Existing Member?

Bec and Toms European Adventure

HOLAAAA

SPAIN | Saturday, 9 May 2015 | Views [218] | Comments [4]

Holaaaa! We've been in the sun for 5 days now, and it's definitely our preference over the chilly past 2 months! We headed to Barcelona by train and bus which took about 24 hours all up..we slept like logs on the overnight bus, getting about 6-7 hours in. However, by about 1pm we noticed the effects of an overnight bus sleep vs a proper bed sleep and felt completely bonkers which required a 3 hour nap in the afternoon to recover. Overnight buses are not our friend.

 
Barcelona is a very cool city with lots to see and plenty of people watching to do. The most important part for us though, was the beach. We visited Park Guell which is a park designed by Gaudi, created as a miniature city  of houses for the wealthy in 1900. The park itself was nice, and the view over Barca was perfect. There are a few buildings around Barcelona of Gaudis work, you'll notice them in the photos,they are all the quirky buildings, the most famous of course being the La Sagrada Familia. The cathedral has been under constructed for 100 years and is not expected to be finished until 2026, the 100th anniversary of Gaudis death, so we're planning another holiday to visit then,because it will be so amazing once it's finished. 
 
We walked through food markets, ate tapas, drank mojitos and sat on the beach for the rest of the trip! The beaches are nice, but it's a little like Bali being harassed every 2 minutes by the street sellers offering you beers, mojitos, sarongs, massages... However once we saw one person buy a beer, we figured we may as well enjoy it, bought some beers off them an got myself a massage on the beach. We also hit up the magic fountain, which from Thursday's- Saturday's it puts on a little show of colours and music and different fountain water patterns from 9pm til 12. We just sat there (with more beer) and enjoyed. 
 
The weather has been kind to us, around 22-24 every day. We can't complain. We got the train from Barcelona up to beautiful San Sebastián yesterday which took about 5 hours. Our hostel is a 2 minute walk to the main surf beach, and our hostel has surf boards for Tom to use, so he's a happy chappy. San Seb is beautiful with an old town, 3 beaches and a few different hikes. We have no plans but to beach, eat pintxos(pin-chos) aka tapas and relax, do some walks and Tom some surfing.
 
Not sure on the next stop, we have 3 more nights here so we're still deciding on Madrid or heading over to Portugal first. Tough decisions this week. Hope it's not too cold at home, hopefully our sunny picture will warm you up!

Comments

1

Spain sounds delightful. Some relaxing time on the beach and a chance to catch your breath will be perfect. I do wish a sunny picture of Spain would warm me up but alas, it's never going to work on a Melbourne winter. Enjoy San Sebastion xxxxx

  Mum May 9, 2015 7:26 PM

2

Switzerland photos are stunning.

  Mum May 9, 2015 7:31 PM

3

Looks like Perth weather !!
Enjoy the sun (and the surf Tom. )
I keep seeing pictures of all the food your eating on snap chat.
I hope your doing a lot of waking.???
Love Dad

  Steve Hetherington May 9, 2015 10:17 PM

4

Spain sounds amazing and I am sure you two feel very much at home with sun beach surf and beer. Nice for you to chill for a few days. The photos are great. Keep the stories coming love hearing about your adventures. Gai xxx

  Gai May 9, 2015 10:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.