Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Bonn, Saturday 7 July

GERMANY | Saturday, 7 July 2018 | Views [295]

Family dinner

Family dinner

Up for an excellent German breakfast and then we all went into town to buy the important things – Haribo and beer.  First the Haribo shop was about the size of Dan Murphy’s and most people were shopping with trolleys.  So many interesting lollies – had to purchase some of course, but not the ones we can get at home.  Then the beer shop – and again huge and so many varieties.  Ute insisted we pick a selection for the evening.  So, we dropped off the goodies and the Kerstin, Ian and I headed off to Kommern which is an open-air museum about 30 minutes away.  It includes around 70 buildings such as farms, windmills, workshops, schools, dance hall and a chapel. These are all from the local area and have been relocated in groups representing different ages - life from the 15th century, a rural-small-city life of the Rhineland, and the living and working conditions from the 1950s to the 1980s.  Fields, cottage gardens and orchards complete the whole thing.  We loved the old buildings, but thought the 1960 & 1970’s were a bit scary- houses in which there were so many things that we remembered!  Great day with enough walking to burn off a few sausages and beers.  Then back for dinner with Thomas, Jan, Anni and Paul (Kerstin’s father and brothers with Jan’s girlfriend) and Kylie the border collie for a pleasant and relaxed evening.

 

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.