Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Ghent, Wednesday 4 July

BELGIUM | Wednesday, 4 July 2018 | Views [173]

Picturesque beer drinking

Picturesque beer drinking

Spent the day around Ghent.  Started the day at St Niklass Church, one of three magnificent buildings that are on the edge of the old city area.  Inside it was lovely. While it is still a functioning church there was a portrait display “Bald and Bold” around the edge of the main part.  From there we went to the Belfry which is UNESCO World Heritage recognised.  The guardian of the city, a dragon, has been up on the tower since 1377 and they are on their third dragon with the two previous on display inside the tower.  Workers were swinging from a crane to clean the new one at 91m above ground and as their carriage swung around we just cringed.  And I say we – Lyn was incredibly brave and for someone that does not like heights even went on the outside balcony to enjoy the excellent view at about 75m up. We were lucky to listen to the chiming of the carillon bells while up there.  From there to St Bravo’s Cathedral where we were able to listen to the pipe organ being tuned and have a wander round both the church and its crypt and strangely, the skeleton of a whale behind the main altar (??).  We wandered back into the main town through Graffiti street and decided to go to the museum.  So, catching the tram to one and then back to the one near us, we discovered that all museums are closed on Wednesdays.  So, we had to go to this gorgeous little bar by the river and watch the boats go by.  Very pleasant way to spend the afternoon.  Finished up with tea in a little restaurant and then an early night (no soccer on).

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.