Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Munich, Tuesday 31 October 2017

GERMANY | Tuesday, 31 October 2017 | Views [270]

Nymphenburg gardens

Nymphenburg gardens

Kept the final bus trip included in our ticket for the better weather and headed out to Nymphenburg Palace which was the summer residence of the Wittelsbach family who ruled Bavaria from 1180 to 1918.  It was a beautiful palace and the public can see a small portion of it.  It is surrounded by magnificent gardens styled on Versailles and these are free – so as it was a public holiday and the weather was good there were many people there.  We wandered the grounds and found a curious chapel built in the 1700s styled as a ruin.  From there the bus took us to the Olympic stadium where there was a tower – it looks like the one on Black mountain in Canberra – so of course we went up.  The views were good, and you could see the whole of the 1972 Olympic complex which for its time was state of the art.  The sky was quite clear, so we could almost see the alps.  Then walked over the road to the Bayerische Motoren Werke (BMW) factory, showroom and museum.  It was an interesting building and well presented – and of course had a few minis so I was happy.  We caught the bus back into town and finished the day with a wander around Marienplatz and heard the Glockenspiel.  Tried the Hofbrauhaus but it was madness, so came back to our hotel for Indian.  They don’t get “hot” over here.  Ian’s jungle curry was about a mild Rogan Josh at home, but all was tasty.

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.