Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Salzburg, Saturday 28 October 2017

GERMANY | Saturday, 28 October 2017 | Views [327]

The children

The children

The other place we wished to do from here was Eagles Nest and Berchtesgaden.  They would not guarantee the trip due to weather and in fact they don’t run it post October at all.  It seemed that it would go so we caught the tour bus and when we got to Berchtesgaden they confirmed yes.  So off we went to the Kehlsteinhaus which is its real name.  It is an amazing building considering the rugged terrain.  It was built as a conference centre for Hitler’s 50th birthday.  No one lived there – Hitler, who was afraid of heights, lived in Berchtesgaden.  Access is by steep roads where you look straight down into the valley including 5 tunnels, then a granite walking tunnel and a brass lined elevator that goes 400 feet up inside the mountain.  The building is basically as it was built.  I understand why it is was called the Eagles Nest.  The day was now beautiful sunshine.  The views were amazing, the snow was fun, and we explored both the building and grounds.  Then it started to snow (still sunshine)!!! What fun.  Then back down the treacherous road for an hour to wander round Berchtesgaden.  We found a nice walking path and the King’s castle before heading back into town.  We then went for a walk around old fortress wall on the other mountain in Salzburg – now that was hard work but worth it when we made the summit.  After such a hard work out we went to check out the Augustiner Brewery and finished our day there with litre mugs of good beer.

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.