Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Prague, Sunday 15 October, 2017

CZECH REPUBLIC | Sunday, 15 October 2017 | Views [197]

And we thought we were in Prague

And we thought we were in Prague

Started the day a bit slowly – our first sleep in so far.  Decided to find the real funicular today.  Caught the tram over the river and as it was close by, went to visit the John Lennon wall.  This is a wall that was a source of irritation for the Communist regime from 1988 as young Czechs would write grievances on the wall overnight and in the morning it would be painted white by the government, and the process would repeat every day.  Today you can write on the wall and it continually undergoes change.  Then we went and found the funicular which was closed so walked up the hill to the Petrin tower.  This building looks like the Eiffel tower and was built couple of years after it.  So post the hill climb we went the 299 steps to the top and were rewarded with some great views.  From there we went to the Strahov monastery, built in the 12th century.  It had a beautiful library which we checked out, and then as Prague is 80% either atheist or agnostic, took advantage of what the building had become – a brewery.  Perhaps this is the Czech religion?  Many of the churches here now have other purposes such as Art Galleries etc.  A quiet dinner out at “Next Door”.  Would recommend this to anyone coming to Prague – great food and service to match.

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.