Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Prague, Friday 13 October, 2017

CZECH REPUBLIC | Friday, 13 October 2017 | Views [208]

Prague from the castle

Prague from the castle

Started the day at Prague Castle – no small feat.  The castle in its first incarnation was built in the 10th century and has been enhanced and rebuilt through the ages.  At one stage it was the seat of the Pope.  The buildings and churches in the grounds were evidence of opulence and the power of the ruling people of the time.  My favourite part was the Basilica of St Vitus, but the really old church of St George built in 900AD and the museum showing the history of the whole castle area inside the walls were also show stoppers.  We were absorbed there for hours.  After, we wandered down to the Vlatva river for a leisurely cruise through the old part of town (all part of our bus ticket 😊).  Last night our gastronomic guide Jan, pointed out to us that the Bohemians 1905 team are playing tonight and as Aussies we should support them.  This is one of the local soccer teams who travelled Australia in 1927 and came home with two kangaroos who they kept in their zoo, and their mascot is now the Kangaroo.  So we took the tram out to the stadium. What an experience.  We arrived to be met by over a hundred police in full riot gear with weapons out.  Some were on horseback.  Managed to by pass them and find the Bohemian entrance and went in with the home crowd after we were all patted down by the security staff (who were in addition to the police).  There was continual singing, beating of drums, letting off of flares and smoke bombs.  Fortunately our team won 2:1 in what was a high quality game of soccer.  Thankfully we were watching closely as there was no screen replays, and the facilities Ian tells me were like the MCG circa 1970.  Then back out through the riot police, and home.

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.