Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Prague, Thursday 12 October, 2017

CZECH REPUBLIC | Thursday, 12 October 2017 | Views [256]

Charles Bridge in the background

Charles Bridge in the background

The weather here is great.  Sunshine and no drizzle.  And Prague is very pretty.  We started with the Hop on hop off bus which we have found gives you a great overview.  This one the commentary was by a recorded man and woman and Ian and I nearly laughed out loud when it started.  For those old enough to remember we had Jane Turner and Peter Moon doing their Soviet take of trendy Sveta and Victor.  Sadly, it doesn’t go round the centre of town, so we started doing some of this on foot post the bus.  We went for a wander over Charles bridge which is the oldest in town and set up like a market with no cars.  Paintings, jewellery and caricature portraits are all available, accompanied at intervals by various musicians.  The astronomical clock which still functions in the town square dates back to 1410.  Then a beer before heading off on our gastronomical tour with Jan.  There were 10 of us – all American bar us and good company.  We went to 5 different local restaurants.  Our guide loves food, particularly Czech cuisine which is making a comeback post the communist era when food was about quantity, not quality.  We had tasting of many differing things - both food and drinks (some of which I never would have tried) at the different spots and he explained the origin as well as giving us a history and geography lesson.  Worth doing.  Made our way home and fell into bed, both tired and very full.

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.