Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Vietnam Wednesday April 8

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 8 April 2015 | Views [295]

From Danang to Hue - the road on Top Gear Vietnam

From Danang to Hue - the road on Top Gear Vietnam

Left Hoi An and drove towards Danang. This is a very touristy area with many resorts (some under construction) on the sea side blocking all access to visitors and tourists alike and the other side has lots of golf courses. We stopped at Marble Mountain and turned into stair climbing tourists again, and of course we went to the top! It was really pretty with lots of caves and grottos and the view very nice. Rather slippery underfoot due to the marble. After we stopped at a shop where everything was being made from marble and you could watch the artisans at work - and they put the hard sell on you. A quick stop at China beach before driving through Danang and onto Hue (Whey) via the mountain road. This is the road the Top Gear guys took on their Vietnam special and I can see why. The last bit into Hue was horrible with roadworks all the way. After a quick lunch with Mr Cu we caught a restful boat up the river to the Thien Mu Pagoda for visit before heading off to Tu Duc's tomb. We then went to the Haven - a school for economically disadvantaged rural students - Sandra is friends with the philanthropist who set it up and we are an opportunity to practise English. The students were sweet - hardworking and keen to achieve. Hoang and Vu were in our group- 17 & 13 years old and they study hard hoping to get into university for courses like medicine, engineering or teaching. Got to our motel for more Top Gear moments (remember the boat hitting the fan?) to find we had been upgraded to a suite!!! Easy and yummy (not yum yum) tea in the motel. Fell into bed. 

 

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.