Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Monday 8 July

GERMANY | Monday, 8 July 2013 | Views [259]

The Brandenburg Tor

The Brandenburg Tor

Headed off for a walking tour of Berlin. Our guide, Tarek was great.  Half Egyptian, half German and brought up in the US he was passionate about Berlin and his quote for the day was "Berlin is a city condemned forever to becoming and never to being." but he replaced condemned with blessed and I understand what he means.  It has a short and fairly spectacular history and is continually changing.  The Hitler years were only 12 in its history and it has embraced those years in a way I believe is quite honest yet positive. It has a charm I would not have believed yesterday.  88% of the city was flattened during the war so there is little that is old, yet it has a different sort of charm. Also did the Deutsches Historische Museum and ran out of time there. This is our only apartment accommodation for the trip and we are having vegetables - no one believes in vegetables in Europe and its killing me.  BTW - 3 extra photos from today in the gallery.

 

 

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.