Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Thursday 27 June

ITALY | Thursday, 27 June 2013 | Views [279]

An 'artistic' view from inside the Duoma

An 'artistic' view from inside the Duoma

Started the day by checking out the Cathedral of Sante Maria de Fiore. It was done in Florentine style of green, white and red marble and was quite sparsely decorated inside even though it was enormous. There is a church under it - the original was the church of Sante Reparate and they have put together much of it. Very interesting. Then we went and climbed the Duoma - 461 stairs each way. I am not naturally claustrophobic but the small spaces and lack of air and having to wait in tiny corridors while people pass was not much fun. The view was absolutely worth it. Florence is so pretty.  Grabbed a bite on the way to Galleria dell Academia where we viewed many 13th century painting, a chamber dedicated to the musical instruments of that time including a genuine Stradivarius! And of course the real 'David'. As such a non artistic person I find it hard to understand how you can make such a life like figure from such an uncompromising material as marble. Then we went off to the leather markets :)

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.