Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

Tokyo

JAPAN | Tuesday, 25 January 2011 | Views [541]

I had a lovely last week in okinawa. Visited the famous Ocean expo Park and Aquarium where one can find human-size lobsters, whale sharks, and snakes that look like candy puppets popping out of the sand. I came across a Cherry Blossom Festival and went to the Pineapple Park, where I was delighted to take ride on an automated golf cart around the pineapple plants, look at their random shell collection, and taste about 50 pineapple products. My favorite was the chocolate and the vinegar. I went on a whale-shark dive with 17 other japanese divers. They have a young whale shark protection program and allow divers to enter the enclosure out at sea to spend time with the sharks. It was specacuar. Nothing like a large 4-foot wide open mouth bumping into your legs. Sarah and John and I went to see Harry Potter 7 part 1 in the military theatre after we watched all 6 of the others in preparation. I tried hard, but only finished books 1-4. 

And now I am in Tokyo. Arrived here in the middle of the night on saturday and have spent the last two days hopping metro trains and wandering around the city. Ever since I visited the louvre 6 years ago Ive been wanting to come to Japan. I remember watching the asian tourists with my mouth wide open, not even bothering to look at the mona lisa which was right in front of me. I am fascinated by the fashion here. Every sunday, the cosplay, or costume play, girls come out and strut their stuff. I planned my day around seeing this display but was very sad to have missed it. I did see a few girls in their baby doll outfits walking around the local park, and everywhere i went there were strange outfits to behold. In one of the local parks I watched a group of people tap dancing in a circle. I was wishing I had my shoes. I saw drummers, street dancers, and a young man with 5 metallic hula hoops. I walked around the electric city in akihabara, the asakusa shopping areas, the famous sony building. I have visited a number of shrines and temples and even found a quiet suburb where I took a break in a small bakery that served lima bean rolls and pumpkin pulp rolls. i had hoped to catch the end of the sumo tournament today but was sad to find out that the last day was yesterday. I'll just have to come back. I wish I had more time here! Tomorrow morning I plan to visit the fish market and go to a few obscure museums. One of which is dedicated to human parasites. My amoebas will be happy. Tomorrow afternoon I fly to Guangzhou, China and will be there for a day before I catch my flight to Kathmandu! I cant wait.


Here in Tokyo, I have been staying at the Anne Hostel, in Asakusabashi. I have stayed in dozens of hostels over the years, but none with down comforters! I have been sleeping like a baby, even in a 12-bed hostel room. In the mornings they serve breakfast, which has been helpful for me on my limited budget. I spend my evenings in the common room reading and writing and meeting people. The facilities are clean and the staff extremely helpful. If I return to Tokyo I will stay here again and reccommend it to anyone who is planning a getaway to Tokyo anytime soon.


See you in Nepal!

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.