Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

okinawa continued

JAPAN | Tuesday, 18 January 2011 | Views [615]

I am on Book 5 in the Harry Potter series now. I can't believe I've been missing out all these years. Needless to say, it has been overcast lately. I was supposed to go out diving all weekend to complete my boat and drift diver specialty courses, but the weather prevented that. Instead we spent the weekend reading, watching movies, and visiting some beautiful coastline sites. Yesterday we scrambled around some sharp coral on the coast and enjoyed the view while wearing down jackets. 

I went on a number of solo adventures last week. I usually have a vague idea of where I'd like to end up but find myself following any english sign I find and usually make it to a castle ruin site. I visited 3 castle sites last week. The first two were unimpressive (after having been to egypt and the mayan ruins) but pleasant and with lovely views. The third site I visited, Shuri, is the most developed and famous site. I was the only blonde-haired person among hundreds. The castle had been reconstructed to hold shrine rooms and living spaces as they would have looked like during the Ryukyu dynasty a few hundred years ago. I also visited a lighthouse on a windy day and watched the ocean crash into the cliffs. Made it into downtown Naha and bought some pottery and wandered the hidden and endless marketplaces. Found the fascinating meat and fish section where I saw large bright blue and pink fish, crabs, octopi, lobsters and pigs. After buying some veg and fruit from a few cute old ladies I had my very first green bean milkshake. It was quite good, actually. 

In the evenings we have been watching Harry Potter and eating chocolate fondue. Can't go wrong. I have a few days left here, then a couple days a in tokyo, a day in china and off to Kathmandu!

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.