Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

13 days! Mt Aspiring NP

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 30 April 2008 | Views [916]

Hello everyone. I am in Queenstown again. I finished my 13-day tramp yesterday. I went about 225 km and made new friends, ran into friends from other tracks and saw some specatular scenery. I have been extremely lucky with weather. April is known for being rainy and snowy but I had clear sunny days 10 days out of 13. My first day I climbed up one of the steepest saddles in the area with 13 days of food and camped next to a glacier right at the saddle. It snowed on me that night but I made it to the warmth of the next hut no problem. I ran into some friends I made 3 months ago in Cape Reinga and we tramped together for 3 days. We all came up with tramping names, like the long distance hikers get on the PCT, CDT and AT. My name is Dragonfly since everyone makes fun of me for how loud my MSR dragonfly is. I connected 7 tracks together, including the Routeburn, one of the great walks. Sometimes I was in crowded huts and sometimes I was in little mud huts all by myself. It was a truly refreshing, challenging, and fun trip. I started out in valleys with cows and glaciers and ended in an arid almost desert valley. At one hut I stayed with some 4-wheelers (that is, people who drive 4-wheelers) and they had an over-abundance of food and fed me. Which was miraculous for day 10 of a tramp. I head out tonight to my next tramp. I am meeting up with an american I met in arthur's pass and we're going to walk the milford ("the finest walk in the world") and the Kepler. The booking season for the great walks ended today so now we can use the huts for free. Should be great. I have about 3 weeks left and then I'll be back in the US. I will miss New Zealand, but I am sure I will be back. I have become addicted to tramping here. Well, I better buy some groceries for my next tramp...

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.