Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

15,000 feet!

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 27 February 2008 | Views [870] | Comments [1]

Hello everyone. I have just re-entered civilization after a wonderful week tramping in the backcountry of Mordor. I have stories to tell but not enough time today but I did want to mention that I went skydiving last week! I stopped in Taupo, which happens to be the skydive capital of the world and I decided I'd go for it. I stayed in a free campground and walked to some thermal areas and waterfalls. I camped right on a beautiful clear blue river. I was pretty uncertain whether or not I should go skydiving because I am trying to be frugal with my money but I decided that this was a good time to do it. So last friday morning a white limo picked me up along with 8 other nervous jumpers. I made some friends from the UK and Austria. It is interesting how travel places us in situations such as that where somehow and for some reason we are all together for an afternoon and share an experience like jumping from an airplane and are united for that moment in time. Only travel seems to create such moments. Anyway, I decided to jump from 15,000 feet, the highest possible for a tandem jump. My person has jumped 5,000 times from all over the world so I felt safe. We had a nice relaxing tour of the area from the sky in a little pink plane and then suddenly the two people before me just went out of the airplane. At that point I was a little nervous but I didn't have much time to think. Soon after it was my turn. They dangled me from the airplane for a few seconds and then wham! There we were falling from the sky at 200 km per hour. It took about a minute to go 10,000 feet. All I could do was smile. It was exhilirating. At 5,000 feet they pull the parachute and basically fly for 8 minutes. It was a wonderful experience and I'm glad I decided to do it. Now I've got that overwith. I will tell you about my time in Mordor soon! It was a great trip. I head to New Plymouth tomorrow for another short wwwoof stay.
me in the sky

me in the sky

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

Wowee!!! Could you see me from up there?? =)

  jessie Feb 27, 2008 5:54 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.