Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

The Apple House Farm (Farm #5)

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 19 February 2008 | Views [1577] | Comments [2]

I just spent a lovely 4 days with the MacGregor family, a homeschooling family of 9. The two older girls are married with children. Still at home are Caleb (14), Liam (12), Tilly (7) and the newly adopted Massive (6) and Sincere (4). They live in a beautiful home built to look like a barn and have chooks, cows, sheep, goats, ducks, dogs, cats, and pigs. My jobs were to feed the animsls, do some garden work, clean the kitchen and wash the windows. I found that I did not do much work though because I was considered part of the family and ended up teaching the kids, or building forts or having conversations. The family recently adoped two Maori children who have had an abusive family before now and so we watched Once Were Warriors about what has typically happened within Maori families. They also take Israeli visitors into their home but unfortunately my path didn't cross with any of them. I was also able to attend church a few times and meet some Americans. Liam, the 12-year-old redhead was fascinated with my Yellowstone stories so one morning I spent an hour or so teaching the kids all about Yellowstone, drawing a map and telling bear stories. It was great fun. Then last night I built a campfire in the backyard and introduced them to s'mores. We used cadbury chocolate, digestives and New Zealand frosted vanilla and strawberry marshamallows. It was a hit with all the kids. It was a truly refreshing few days and I will miss them all very much. I am finding with each family that I would like to stay longer but I am being pulled south to beat winter. Today I go to Taupo for another couple of days to be a tourist and then off to Tongariro National Park to spend a week in Mordor.
massive, tilly and sincere

massive, tilly and sincere

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Hey, Em!

Sounds like you're having fun in NZ...good for you!

  Jgirl Feb 19, 2008 10:18 AM

2

Reading your entries sometimes has me wishing I were single and traveling with you!! What fun and oh the memories you're creating...

Miss you!

  Jessie Feb 24, 2008 6:53 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.