Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

definitions

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 27 January 2008 | Views [544] | Comments [5]

I have been adding some new words and ideas to my vocabulary and thought I'd share them with you. 

heaps: the word used for lots, many, a whole bunch, often, all the time, or very. For example: There are heaps of trees on the south island. Or: I've had heaps of hokey pokey ice cream.

smallies: underwear.

longs: pants. And by pants, I mean longs, or long pieces of fabric that we use to cover our legs. Like jeans.

keen: excited, sympathetic towards, a positive inclination. Example: Are you keen to go to the beach today?

clucky: a hen that has the tendency to brood, or has motherly instincts. Cluckies make a strange sound like a cat purring and must be quarantined for a few days before it can exist in normal free-range chicken life. So for all you YCCers out there, Clucky is a brooding hen.

Zed: the word used for the letter Z.

Afters: dessert.

Tea: dinner. Or a hot drink with sugar and milk.

Permaculture: The term coined in 1978 by Bill Mollison and David Homgren. They define it as: "...the conscious design and maintenance of agriculturally productive ecosystems which have the diversity, stability and risilience of natural ecosystems. It is the harmonious integration of landscape and people providing their food, energy, shelter, and other material and non-material needs in a sustainable way."

These are some the words I've been learning. I'll be sure to keep you updated with more words to add to your vocabury. Meanwhile, I am still at the kingfisher farm milking cows, collecting eggs (it's like easter every day!), and feeding pigs. I watched other chickens eat a dead chicken and they love eating their own eggs. Sick.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Chickens are cannibals.

  someone Jan 27, 2008 7:03 PM

2

I was really keen on seeing my friend but she sharted in her smallies after her afters.

  Anish Jan 27, 2008 7:08 PM

3

Longs: You mean trousers? Yah... yah... I think the word you're looking for is trousers.

Smallies: Or "smalls". Or "gruts". If you're lucky you might also hear "budgie smugglers", "daks", "underdaks", or my personal favourite: "undermagrundies".

Keen: Probably more closely translated as "interested". As in "I'm always keen to hear amusing takes on the Kiwi lexicon, keep 'em coming."

  hotnoodle Jan 27, 2008 9:50 PM

4

EM! I just re-found your blog. It's been so fun to read what you're up to and you look great! Please eat a magnum bar with a golden wrapper for me. (even if it may ruin your dinner :) )

  Sarah Jan 29, 2008 3:32 AM

5

Ohh Emily, how I miss thee. I'm really enjoying reading this blog. I'm living vicariously through your adventures while I buy my time in Oklahoma. Are you coming back to the states for the summer? have a good one.

  dave Jan 29, 2008 11:35 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.