Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

No Free Lunch At Kutna Hora

CZECH REPUBLIC | Friday, 31 July 2015 | Views [407]

Yesterday I took the train went on a tour of Kutna Hora-which is a town about an hour away from Prague.  I was in a compartment with 7 others people and 2 dogs. It was hot and crowded. Along the way, Michael, the tour guide, started taking lunch orders for a restaurant we would be checking out later in the day. Lunch wasn't included, but he just "assumed the sale". He didn't mention prices; he just went to each compartment and asked what people wanted. I assume that he gets a free lunch at the restaurant if he gets a minimum amount of paying customers. I fell into the trap at first, ordering some gholuash and mushroom soup, but I decided to take back my order since I had a big breakfast and have a problem with someone asking me what I want for lunch without divulging there is a extra cost. Kutna Hora was an interesting town with a bone chapel, a chapel with thousands and thousands of bones, skulls, etc. Some thought it was creepy, I thought it was a great way of using bones which there is an endless supply of.

 

After the bone church, we went to the Cathedral of St. Barbara; which was used by the silver miners in town. Michael, our guide, knew all about the types of art and architecture, from the dark ages to renaissance styles. I liked him. Despite his misleading us about lunch, he was knowledgeable  and friendly.

 

Later came the aforementioned lunch, and I really didn't regret not eating. The food was good, but I was full from my big breakfast. (or granola and strawberry cereal at the hostel-multiple servings).

 

Afterwards, I took one last walk around town, past the Charles Bridge.

 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.