Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Being Toed in Prauge

CZECH REPUBLIC | Saturday, 25 July 2015 | Views [524]

Yesterday morning, the first thing I did was look for a medical center to treat my toe. My toe has been hurting, as a part of my toenail came off. It  has been keeping me up all night. It may have been due to all of the walking I have done, or stubbing my toe, or something.  

 

I awoke about 6:00 am and went to the guy down stairs at the bar asking if he know of a hospital/medical center. (as usual, people we're still drinking at this hour).  He didn't, but he Googled it and gave me a full print out of hospitals/clinics/medical centers.  I didn't really know where anything was in this city, not how to find a specific street other then looking at a map and trying to search for it.  

 

Anyway, I found a street of one of the establishments listed on a map given by the hostel, and I took the metro 2 stops.  The place didn't open until 8:00 am (it was about 6:45 am)-so I waited for Mcdonalds to open (they open at 7). While waiting, a group of 20 somethings came up and joined me in the linr (3 guys and 3 girls from what I remember). They started to sing the whole song Billy Jean. Drunk happy twenty-somethings was not what I wanted to hear when my toe was hurting.

 

Anyway, I wasn't sure how long it would take at the medical center. I know that the wait for a non-emergency at an ER at home can be for hours. But after the Mcbreakfast, I went to the  medical center, and the Doctor and his nurse treated the wound, sterilized it, put on gauze, and sent me on my way.  My whole foot up to the ankle was covered in bandage. I was also told how to apply it myself the next few days. By 8:45 or so I was on my way, $160 or so poorer (Which I will send to the insurance company).

 

I went back to the hostel, and took a nap, as I didn't get much sleep. There was a walking tour at 2:30 as an introduction to the city (as long as I don't knock my toe against anything, walking isn't or wasn't too bad, although I can't go too fast).  As you know, I am into the free walking tours, because they give a great intro to the city provided by  a knowledgeable guide.

 

This tour was no exception. I learned a lot about Prauge, how it was under the Austrian-Hungarian empire for a long time,  how King Charles named a Bridge, University, and much more after himself, and of all the battles of Catholicism vs less stringent forms of Christianity. I also saw the old Jewish Quarter. I saw the huge metronome of a hill, which used to be a giant statue of Stalin, (But was taken down where he died). After the fall of communism, the statue was replaced by the metronome, to symbolize the time lost during the  communist days.

 

The tour guide, a pretty blond named Katerina, gave some great advice. She told us to go to the top of a hill during Sunset, where the big castle can be viewed in the distance against the sunset. She also mentioned that when the lights of the castle are switched on, it looks brilliant. So that is what I did. It was an absolutely beautiful view.

 

Afterwards,  I walked to the main square where I saw restaurants, strip clubs, and other businesses catering to drunk tourists. At about 11:30, I was tired, and took the metro back to the hostel. 

 

Tags: czech republic, prauge, walking tours

 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.