Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Antwerp Blues

BELGIUM | Tuesday, 23 June 2015 | Views [634]

Yesterday I took the train to Antwerp. The weather here is uhh, well if you like cold rain it is awesome. (in the 50's or so).   I have lived in South Florida for nearly 18 years, and this is the time of year people generally start bitching and moaning about it being too hot, too humid, etc. (It has never bothered me-I would take it over cold any day). But 50's and rainy is worse, and not pleasant by any means. Once again, I have booked a hostel-the Antwerp Student Hostel-but seeing this weather, instead of going to the hostel, I would have preferred to splurge for my own room at the Marriott and just hibernate under the covers for 24 hours.

Another reason for the blaah mood is my camera broke. I don't want to buy another since that is big money-so today I am taking a train to a camera repair center rougly 40 km from Antwerp.  Many might see this as a waste of time-as I do have a camera on my cell phone, but taking pictures is a passion for me, and my cell phone (or any small inexpensive camera), just doesn't cut it.  Plus this could be the last major trip ever, and I want to do it properly.

By the way, the Antwerp Student Hostel is exactly that..A student hostel. It took me a while to  figure that out yesterday. Expect when I went to the common area to check my wifi (for camera repair places), and saw what appeared to be people studying. I couldn't figure out why they we're doing it on vacation.  When I went to watch a video on Youtube (on camera repair), it was clear I was disturbing some of these people.

It only dawned on me a little while longer, while exploring the town, that these we're actual students, and we're actually studying.

Anyway, later on i explored the town and walked around, I saw the river area, a huge shopping street, and I checked out new cameras in a Best-Buy like European chain called Media-Markt, or something like that. 

Tags: belgium antwerp

 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.