Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Hosteling for Dummies

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [616] | Comments [2]

I just checked out of my 4th hostel. In this one I  shared a room with 15 others. If you remember my first hostel post, I just about pledged I would never stay in another one. I was disgusted by the smells, the snoors, the everything about sharing a room. Just like going off the college and having to share a dormroom for the first time, and becoming homseick immediately and pledging to leave and just go to college closer to home.

After the 4th hostel-I am somewhat of a changed man. (The third hostel really doesn't count though-I was in a 4 bunk room-but three of the bunks weren't used-I was in there alone).  First of all, this hostel was different.

- No horrible smells

- A lively bar with a guitar player who was really good

- thick wood panels and carpets-very comfortable and cozy (I hate that word). The house was very victorian

- a friendly staff who seemed helpful. Even the room was ok-the 8 bunks we're spaced apart (somewhat), and the room had large windows which let light in.

More then this-I started talking to others and have been  noticing things (actually starting in the second hostel). The guests are friendly overall, and while many (or most) are in their 20's-they don't treat their older counterparts any differently. They seem to accept people like myself as their own, (e.g. when I was staying with the three college-age woman-the girls seemed sincerely friendly (no ewwws behind my back-I don't think anyway)). 

Additionally, since the bathrooms are co-ed, you learn to put your pants on in your bed when nobody is looking and wear them to the bathroom (or a towel if you can keep it tight enough), and it sort of builds espirt de corp among travelers to brush your teeth next to some woman removing her makeup. And I have learned to keep my wallet in my shoe in my bed, and sleep with my camera bag (where my passport is).  And I slept quite well, for 30% of the price of a hotel.  Oh, I will still stay in hotels on this trip, (like tonight in London), but I am warming up to this hostel thing. Oh yeah-the hostels guests are normally more intersted in a good pub crawl then hotel guests.

 

 

Tags: hostel

Comments

1

Glad you are having better experience :-)
xx

  Dany May 25, 2015 12:45 PM

2

Thank you Babe XOXOXOXOXO

  davidpearlman May 26, 2015 6:24 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.