Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Glasgow in 10 hours (or so)

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [477] | Comments [1]

Yesterday I took a day trip to Glasgow. I was debating with myself if i wanted to spend my last day in Scotland in Edinburgh, but although there were some sights  I might have enjoyed checking out (Like the Scottish Museum),  so I can learn how the kilt came along and more about bagpipes, I decided to check out Glasgow. On the 3 day trip the day before, the van driver stopped in Glasgow to drop some people off, and it looked like a big enough city (only 45 min from Edinburgh by train) so I made the decision to go.  For once, it was a stunning day, the sun was out and it was just a little cold (maybe 50-60).  I got into the city roughly around 8:00 am (I am in a hostel-so there is no reason to stay later then I could there, and I tend to get up early).  After walking a little from the  train station-I had my usual favorite Mcbreakfast (in the UK). I then took a walk along the Clyde River exploring some of the bridges inlcuding the Cylde Suspension bridge.  After a while, I came to a science museum (which i had no interest in)-but there was a hop on hop off bus, which I took to

(A) The first cathedral in Scotland-the only Catholic Cathedral to physically surivive the reformation (although it has been protestant since that date, and certain original features we're removed from the Cathedral-although I no interest in there.

(B) A religious museum across the street, which talks about the development of religion in Scotland. The only interesting thing here I learned is that the original type of Christianity in Scotland was one that was sort of rouge, (combined with the Norse rule I believe), and then the more stringent type from the Vatican took place.

(C) I went to the Necropolips, which provides a stunning view of the city. This was where the rich and famous  of Glasgow we're apparently buried. The poor (which their we're many-many who succumed to cholera and other diseases rife in the slums), we're buried in unhygenic mass graves from what I understand. The Necropolips also provided a stunning view of the city. Which brings a thought to mind-Why doesn't every town/city call their cemetary A Necropolips? And if people pay thousands to go to Athens to see an Acropolips, wouldn't that make driving 5 minutes to a local Necropolips a relative bargain?

(D) After getting off the hop-on hop-off bus once again and  walking around and finding lunch at a Sainsbury Local (supermarket I like to eat in that has cheap take-away food), I went to a transit museum which was most interesting. I learned many large ships (including the QE 2) we're built on the River Clyde (in Glasgow)-there we're also trains, cars, etc-and even an exhibit on the first Glasgow taxi that was handicapped accessible.  Afterwards in back on the musuem, some rowing races we're finishing up between universities and Glasgow and Edinburgh- (Edinburgh won), and I had a picture taken with the Glasgow mascot.

The final entertainment happened on the train ride going home. Some guy who apparently was three sheets to the wind was singing some song like "God Save the Queen" first relatively quietly and then standing and singing at the top of his lungs. The conducter had to go to him and tell him "the police are gonna pick ya up if ya keep goin"(something like that), and "we got complaints on ya"

Glasgow looks like a vibrant interesting city-my problem is that I didn't spend more time there, and the time i did spend there was rushed. This is actually what I promised to myself I wouldn't do-just rush  through cities like i have before on cruises, previous land-based trips, etc. The issue is that today I am headed to  London and then Salisbury-to see Stonehege.  It is tough to balance staying-where-you-want-to-stay and only moving on  when ready, and needing to book things in advance to ensure availability and not paying top prices for last minute. Although not as charming as Edinburgh, it is a big city with a lot to offer and a day or two overnight would have been nice.

 

Comments

1

Oufff, what a busy day !!! So interesting to read you mon chéri !
xxx

  Dany May 26, 2015 11:42 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.