Existing Member?

BAT out there

Fond farewells

USA | Saturday, 22 August 2009 | Views [308]

So I said goodbye to Mario, Jon and Claire who are all heading to New York and to Jack who is  going to stay with a friend of his brothers for the night before his family join him for a few days.

Once the farewells were out of the way I headed off to Constitution Gardens and West Potomac Park to do the memorials and mnuments.  Saw the Lincoln Memorial, the Korean, Vietnam and World War II memorials, the Roosevelt memorial and the Washington Monument.  I think my favourite was the Roosevelt memorial, it was huge and told the story of his various terms in office, there were sculptures, bronzes and waterfalls - brilliant.

Next stop was the Holocaust museum.  It was extremely well done very harrowing and distressing.  I just couldn't stay the distance and see it all. I am also ashamed to say I was hungry, which seems appalling in a place dedicated to the memory of so people who were worked and starved to death.  Well worth the visit but not for the faint hearted.

When i left the black clouds were looming and by the time I made it back into chinatown it was tipping it down. I found the cinema but nothing I wanted to see was showing for at least another 2 hours so I made a dash for subway and grabbed a sandwich then hurried back to the hostel - soaking wet by the time I got there!

So once I dried off I phoned home which was lovely, read most of my book and watched Erin Brokovitch in the TV room.  All the while the storm raed outside and the rain fell.  I hope it's a bit better tomorrow.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.