Existing Member?

BAT out there

Long drive to no where.

CANADA | Saturday, 17 May 2008 | Views [543]

So today we were going to drive back into the Banff national park to the Columbia icefields where we were going to take a trip up onto the Glacier and then stay the night but it all went horribly horribly wrong.....

Drove out of town and there was a long long like of cars byt the side of the road, which I started driving past until I suggested to Becky we shoudl ask what was going on.... turned out there had been a mud slide on the road we needed to take, some of the people had been there since 7am and were expecting the next update between midday and one oclock (at this point it was 10 am) so having talked for a bit we established we coudl drive from Revelstoke to Kamloops, North to Jasper and then back down to the Columbia Icefields.  The people we were talking to thought maybe a couple of hours for Revelstoke Kamloops and the same again to Jasper which didn't sound too bad so off we set. 

Well after 2 - 3 hours of driving we swapped over and I got a chance to get a good look at the map and estabished that the journey woudl add approx 500km to the 355 we were planning that day and there was no way each leg woudl take only a couple of hours.

Anyway to cut a long story short by the time we left Jasper we had both had enough and needed something to cheer us up and seeing a black bear by the side of the road just about did the trick, especially as we weren't sure we were ever going to see one of them. And to make my day we then saw a big horned sheep so I got my chance to get some pictures at last. (Oh and I think I finally saw a Moose earlier on but it was only a fleeting glimpse)

Sadly we only got to our destination at about 9pm and the certain knowledge that in the morning we woudl have to just get up and get back to Jasper so no chance of the trip out onto the Glacier - not a good day.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.