Existing Member?

BAT out there

Wagons roll

CANADA | Friday, 16 May 2008 | Views [355]

So a day of driving today as we have to get from Banff to Revelstoke which is about 280 kms away and we wnt to have a look at Lake Louise.

But first we went into Banff again to look at the Whyte Musuem because we ran out of time yesterday.  This place is fantastic. The building was lovely inside, really light and airy and they had a photographic exhibition of the Klondihke gold rush on.  It's increadible to think that within a  matter of months places where there had been only a few properties suddenly became bustling towns and the hardship the people went through all in the quest for gold!!!  The main exhibition here was about Norman Luxton and his family, he was essentially the man who made Banff the place it is today - very interesting and amazing what he achieved.

Lake Louise was stunning, just this amazingly huge expanse of water almost completely covered in ice and as there were clear blue skies and sunshine it was all sparkling.  Just wonderful (shame about all the other people!)

To get to Revelstoke we had to go through two other national parks ToHo and Glacier.  Everything here seemed a lot lusher and greener as through spring was more advanced but almost all the attractions we passed still said they were closed. There were an awful lot of signs around warning of Avalanches and the next thing you know off to my right , down the face of a mountain a little ways off there was an avalanche happening - cool, although I was glad not to be in the middle of it. Shame we couldn't stop and take pictures/film it.

After missing the turning once we finally found the Mount McKenzie Log chalet where we were staying  -a really beautiful log building set in a large garden - fantastic.  Especially as the owners had had to go away fro a few days and we were the only people staying so the neighbour basically let us in, said fend for yourselves and left us to it.

So on the Friday, having established as we drove in that most things were shut, we decided just to hang out at the chalet and relax.  The weather was fantastic so I sunbathed and we were so lazy we didn't even go for a wlak.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.