Existing Member?

BAT out there

Lake Minnewanka - look this is serious....

CANADA | Tuesday, 13 May 2008 | Views [652] | Comments [1]

More pancakes for breakfast, this could become a habit....

Much much colder today and windy too so we wrapped up warm before heading off to Lake Minnewanka to walk the trail up there. The lake was ENORMOUS and nearly the whole thing is still frozen over. Interesting to read that there was a town called Minnewanks Landing which was a big tourist attraction back in the early 1900's but when they built the dam they flloded the lake and the town was submerged so really it's a reservoir now and not a lake but either way still huge.

The lakeside stroll was lovely and we were feeling good so we started up the Stewart Canyon walk as well, this was possibly the most beautiful place we have been so far. The trail was not well trodden and there wasn't a single other person about, after about 20 mins we came across a small set of waterfalls down in the canyon. With the weak sunshine, the total lack of people and the background noise of running water it gave me the same spiritual feeling I experienced when I was at the dead vlei in Namibia.  Becky and I jokingly decided to call it Roger's falls and we sat there peacefully for some time until the chill and fear of a bear attack made us move on out.

Comments

1

So jealous - never done Banff in summer! Sounds like you're having an amazing time. Keep up the updates!

  Jane May 25, 2008 10:55 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.