Existing Member?

BAT out there

So much to do, so little time

USA | Thursday, 20 August 2009 | Views [339]

So basically there are about a gazillion things that you can do in Washington.  Prior to arriving I got both Mum and Emma (who were here last month) to give me thier short lists of what they thought I should do.  Armed with that I headed out to the Dupont Circle area to go to the Phillips collection and the textile museum.  Both of which I can say were excellent.  The Phillips collection is mostly modern art displayed on three conencting buildings and I enjoyed almost all of it, I really am a fan of modern art and they had works by some of the artists I particularly like.

At the textile museum there was an exhibition of Amish quilts which were suerbs, quite made me want to go home and learn how to quilt properly so I coudl make one.  They also had a long documentary about the Amish way of life and how they come to terms with the cahnges in society etc. very very interesting.  On top of that they had a collection of Indonesian Baticks that had been collected by President Obama's Mum.  Both the baticks and the stories behind then were well worth the visit and the shop there was just full of lovely stuff, luckily all well out of my price range.

Headed back to the downtown area and started wandering around but by this time I was not feeling so great and realised I had been very foolish and let myself get de-hydrated (school girl error!).  So after a bit more aimless wandering looking at the outside of buildings and an aborted attempt to visit the National Museum of American History - just way too many large groups of children for my liking, I took myself and my pounding headache back to the hostel for a rest.  Bumped into Australian Claire in reception who advised me that Mario and Jon had arrived and Jack would be in a but later.  So after a lot of sipping of water, some pills and a snooze we all convenned downstairs and headed out for the evening.  Ended up at an Irish bar where good fortune woud have it they had a live band on who were really pretty good so we were fed, watered and entertained in good style.

Another top day if you forget about the headache :o)

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.