Existing Member?

BAT out there

Charleston - Yes where the 1920's dance comes from

USA | Saturday, 15 August 2009 | Views [425]

So another greyhound day today, once again luckily uneventful and chatted to a couple of nice friendly people with suggestions of what I could do in Charleston.  Stupidly I had forgotten that the reception at the hostel doesn't open until 5pm unless you call and make apecial arrangements (no I hadn't) so I had over an hour waiting on the front porch for them to open.  not the end of the world.  Got settled in and used the internet cos it is free - hurrah and then went to Piggly Wiggly (such a strange name for a supermarket chain) to get dinner.  Frank, the guy behind the deli counter, thought my accent was wonderful and I was to come back everyday please - sweet.

Well that was yesterday and today I think I must explore a little once I have mapped out the next three weeks of my future.  So after several hours on the internet I am finally booked for 5 nights in Washington, 4 nights in Philadelphia and 3 nights in Boston with one final night in Philadelphia before I fly to Bermuda.  All booked and therefore set in stone.  Have to be honest and say right at the moment I would be quie happy to just be going straight home tomorrow.  Feeling rather flat for no really good reason right now but need to pull myself together or I won't get anything out of this trip.  Doesn't really help that this hostel isn't really very sociable, they don't have a main room or area where people can congregate so they seem to be just keeping to themselves.  Oh well with a bit of luck the weather will improve by monday and I will at least be able to get to the beach for the day.

Anyway in the afternoon, having discovered the historic part of town is within walking distance, I went to the visitor centre and pretty much discovered that all the museums here are expensive too so to cheer myself up I ended up shopping.  I know, you don't have to tell me, that makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE at all, but I did it anyway!  Bought two books (well a girl's got to read) and then a dress and a top in a shop called Puttamayo - well it was outlet and everything was $10 so it could have been worse.  yes I have guilty written all over me.......

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.