Existing Member?

BAT out there

Yosemite Sam

USA | Friday, 3 July 2009 | Views [227]

So after a day of washing in San fran I headed of for another trip with the Green Tortoise.  this time just three days going to the Yosemite national Park.

Once again we all met by the greyhound Bus terminal in SanFrancisco and my oh my was it a shock to discover the bus was full with 36 passengers and 2 drivers - thank goodness this one is only 3 days as it's going to be cosy!

So we drove overnight to arrive in the park for breakfast and a view of El Capitain - a very famous rock which loads of people travel miles to come and rock climb - apparently (not us)

Had a great day hiking to a spot called Vernal falls, where I got very very wet courtesy of the spray from the falls and the rain!  But the sun soon came out again and dried me of.  now by this stage of my travels I have to say I am having quite a problem with my knee (those in the know will understand what I am talking about here)So climbing steep slopes and over 300 huge stone steps up to and back down from the falls wasn't exactly great. So i was thrilled to hear that on the second day the most strenuous thing I woudl have to do would be swimming in first a slat lake and then a fresh water one Oh and catching a few rays as well - Nice stuff.

Day three had some people hiking again but I restricted myself to a stroll through some meadows with lots and lots of mosquitos! And then in the afternoon an opportunity to hug a few Giant Sequioa trees - really really huge, it took about 30 of us holding hands at full stretch to surround one of them.  Oh and we got to see a small bear foraging as well - cute but deadly.

The trip finished with an evening in a Karaoke bar called the Iron Door in a tiny town but the place was heaving and surprisingly most of the singing was good.  We had a great time and once again I have made a few good friends onthe trip.  One more overnight drive and we were back in San Francisco bright and early at 6 am!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.