Existing Member?

kiting, diving, trippin' I ain't never been lost, just confused for a few days - Daniel Boone

Tainan Filipinos

TAIWAN | Monday, 17 December 2012 | Views [819] | Comments [1]

Porcelain figurines on the top of a Tainan temple

Porcelain figurines on the top of a Tainan temple

She did it again! Every time we hit a snag, wonder whether we should zig or zag, and look around, there is another Filipina (or Filipino - male) to ask if we should be on this platform for the local train, how many stops to XinShi, or whatever. Then, for the next five minutes Rowie is in a deep conversation in Tagalog and the Taiwanese are wondering what the hell is going on.
There are no shortage of Filipinas and Indonesians in Taiwan. A lot work as care givers to elderly, some are in manufacturing, some are domestic help.
Anyway, Rowie got to catch up with a friend she'd been at nursing college with who is married to a local guy, which turned into meeting her friends, which turned in to eating out at an 'all you can eat for the cover charge' Shabu Shabu (Japanese Hot Pot) restaurant not unlike a Sizzlers at home. This place had it all, from every kind of meat for the pot, along with seafoods and vegies. Then there was the deserts, which included a chocolate fountain (stop drooling Cath), every colour ice cream and fruit and cakes. We sat there for hours, had a great time of it, then went and walked it all off at the local night market.
Rowie and I also had a look around the city, checked out some temples (plenty to chose from), looked in a wood carving shop (declined the offer of a drink of tea) and entertained some more locals with our bloody terrible Mandarin.
Everyone keeps looking at Rowie, thinks she must be Taiwanese, and starts talking to her while pointing at me. It's then up to me to say "ta ting bu dong" (she doesn't understand) which just makes them think I can! Anyway, we'd get something to eat, ask how much we owe and pay for it. None of it costs a lot either. A good meal with a drink or two thrown in will be covered by NT100 most times (A$3.00 +)
Another new friend had a birthday and we were told we had to put off our departure until after the BBQ at a water reserve decked out with BBQ's and walking tracks. As with most Filipino gatherings, there was way too much food, plenty of laughs and a good time was had by all.
Next day we caught a local train back to Tainan Main Station, bought a ticket on the southbound train to XinZuoYing. Another bus ride to the side of Lotus Pond and we were sitting in a local cafe eating another meal. While I went next door to get a coffee, Rowie asked the cook if he knew of a good hotel for us for the night. By the time I came back the computer was turned, Google Maps running and the guy has called ahead and made a booking for us. For A$50.00 we got a double bed with spa and breakfast - loving it! We went for a good long walk around the 'pond', saw some wake boarding on a cable set up, checked out the local fisherman's catch a few times and had a drink and peanuts on the side of the lake as the sun went down and the lights came on.
Quite peaceful!
From there it was back to the train station for more tickets to ride.
I got us tickets to a place in the travel guide book that had a beach.
That's where it all fell apart .........

 

Comments

1

You know me Gazza - chocolate and drool go hand in hand!

  Cath Dec 24, 2012 7:09 PM

About bundynbeaches

Who wants to work after seeing a picture like this?

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.