Existing Member?

kiting, diving, trippin' I ain't never been lost, just confused for a few days - Daniel Boone

Kavieng, PNG

PAPUA NEW GUINEA | Friday, 4 June 2004 | Views [1020]

One of the dive clubs in Townsville has organised a trip to PNG to go diving..................I'm in !

The trip up there was a bit of a non event, Townsville / Cairns / Port Moresby / Kavieng. Landed on a bitumen airstrip and into the back of a ute, through town and over o Big Nusa Island. Very, very nice little island with thatch bungalows all made from local materials -except maybe the corrugated iron between the layers of palm fronds helping to seal the roof.

A dutch husband and wife team operate Scuba Ventures out of Kavieng and do a really good job of it too. They took us to wrecks of supply barges and warplanes and if their stories were true, they were convincing. We would see dugong in amongst the islands, native women up to their waist in water hooking crabs for the markets, all sorts of marine life.........this place has it all. There are all sorts of rays and octopus not 100m from where we were staying. Around the other side of the island we dived a rock shelf full of lobsters -too quick for me- and reef sharks.

Tags: adventures

 

About bundynbeaches

Who wants to work after seeing a picture like this?

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Papua New Guinea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.