Existing Member?

kiting, diving, trippin' I ain't never been lost, just confused for a few days - Daniel Boone

Holidays in the Sun

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 2 December 2009 | Views [784] | Comments [1]

The not so sweet smelling scar giver

The not so sweet smelling scar giver

It was realy good to catch up with everyone in Harden after way too long.

From there Rowie and I found our way up to Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast for a bit of sightseeing and to play the tourists. We managed to surprise the manager of the Mooloolabah Backpackers when she recognised me standing beside her totally unannounced. Schmidty (or Anthea as she is now known - must be all growed up now) was great and showed us a good time and we met her friends and enjoyed some great hospitality on the roof of an apartment block, complete with BBQ, guitars, beer and the liveliest four year, old part Irish, wildman. Garnsey will have her work cut out there before long.

I managed to get in a few dives on the ex HMAS Brisbane again after two years away. It was almost a bare wreck back then and a very interesting swim through. You could lay on bunks, swim in to the engine room and even take a bath then. You still could now but there is a lot more life on the ship now to make it a bit more interesting again.

Being the tourists, we had to go do the touristy things. Australia Zoo was a must see for someone who hasn't been to the country before. Besides, Rowie wasn't aware that koalas stink, or wombats waddle, kangaroos are so big, or you can force a mouse down the throat of a snake while the other three snakes in the cage are eating as well with the doors open and all to see. We were three people too late for Rowie to get her photo taken with a small, sweeter smelling female koala, and she had to be content with holding a very large (not so sweet smelling) male for the photo that has been a hit ever since. And she has the scar to show that you really should support the weight of these things to prevent them digging their claws in to hold their own weight. Well that's what she is telling everyone anyway.

From there we had a few days in Brisbane for the visa things and to go and visit Mick and Jenny again. We did the obligatory twenty minute walk trying to find Pete's grave to say hello, and did a little trip up on to Mt Cootha for a view of Brisbane before getting on another plane to another country for another adventure for another two weeks        ...............        

 

 

 to be continued.

Tags: diving, koala, snakes

 

Comments

1

Understand you went back to the old house and got invited in for a look thru. Nice people!

  Dad Mar 14, 2010 2:19 PM

About bundynbeaches

Who wants to work after seeing a picture like this?

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.