Existing Member?

kiting, diving, trippin' I ain't never been lost, just confused for a few days - Daniel Boone

Psst. Wanna buy a Rolex?

CHINA | Monday, 29 October 2007 | Views [1143] | Comments [1]

Pack a healthy sense of humour

Avoid air travel in October. The fog will cause you grief a lot of the time. It's a good time to go check out the Great Wall though. Trains are a safe, efficient and comfortable way to go (if you get a soft sleeper).

Learn a couple of words in Putonghua. The train is a great place to practice too. You'll be surprised how far the locals will go to help if you make the effort.

If you don't like fireworks, bring plenty of ear plugs.

Always keep a small roll of paper with you for the 'emergency'. If you haven't had to do the rush to the loo after a hearty meal from a street vendor, you haven't lived.   Oh.    Hold your nose.

Pack a healthy sense of humour

If you don't like fireworks, avoid festivals and holidays.

Make sure the red 'flag' is down in the taxi as you take off. Insist on a metered ride.

If you don't like fireworks, stay away from the inflatable red arches in front of shops, restaurants or hotels celebrating opening, closing, cleaning or just celebrating.

Pack a healthy sense of humour.

Try to find a map, or at least a taxi driver who understands where you want to go

Pack a healthy sense of humour

Be prepared to barter. Never pay the asking price. Use your Putonghua you've been practicing on the train. There are hawkers in Beijing's silk market who are tri lingual. You'll have a ball.

Once you barter, you buy. Check it out first or dont start bartering. It's all about 'face'. Their country! Their culture! You're a visitor!

Just about anything can be bought anywhere. You can get a Rolex at the lights or the latest release in the subway market. Be prepared to have to wait a little while longer in the back room while the shop is being 'inspected' though.

Pack a healthy sense of humour

Pack rechargable batteries (and charger would be good). The local batteries will let you down just as the overloaded tricycle comes around the corner or the perfect shot of the Wall comes in to view.

Hostels are by far and away the best way to get to see the real China. The staff dont put on the air and graces beacause you forked out as much as they earn in a month for a nights sleep. The other hostel guests are all looking for the best value for money and are often the best source of local info as well.

If you like fireworks .... you're in heaven. Cheap as chips. Have your own show.

Get in to taxis by the passenger side door. They might not follow the rules you'd expect to see on the road, but it works for them. Sit down, shut up and close your eyes!

Be prepared for the constant "hello"

Pack a healthy sense of humour

You want to make the "hello" kid/guy/old man laugh ... reply "ni hao"

Pack a healthy sense of humour and have a ball !

Tags: Travel Tips

Comments

1

Every time I read the caption of this photo of the panda I have a little giggle. It's a really great caption!

  Trish Apr 5, 2008 10:32 PM

About bundynbeaches

Who wants to work after seeing a picture like this?

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.