Existing Member?

Wanders of the World

And on the 7th Day They Rested

GERMANY | Monday, 17 September 2007 | Views [672] | Comments [5]

Patti: So two days since our last entry and a few more kilometers behind us. We travelled 70 km yesterday through some more beautiful countryside with lots of castles to see. We were mostly along the Rhein River, in a deep valley, where the roads were flat, and the hillside was covered with vinyards. All of the castles were at the tops of the hills, and we didn't have it in us to climb up on our bikes. There were many cruise ships also taking in the scenery. They seemed to have chosen an easier mode of transportation. We had two "incidents", both on the shared roads. For the most part, we were on designated cycle paths, but at one of the spots we had to share with cars in a construction zone, we ended up going head on into oncoming traffic. At least the tour bus had the sense to come to a stop to allow us to get our bikes up onto the curb so it had room to pass. The other difficulty was when we somehow got off of the cycle path and suddenly the cars were zooming past, much faster than they had earlier in the day. It was when the nice police officer stopped with his lights on and told us we were on the highway, and should get off. We followed his suggestion (without question) and with a bit of a detour, some sense of feeling lost, and some helpful local Germans, we soon found our way back to the path we needed to be on. We were on our bikes for a full 5 hours but much more time on the road with rest stops. Neither of us are in great cycling shape, but Amy compared the pain in her legs to having run a marathon. She figures it can only get better. We spent today resting and wandering in the city of Koblenz. It has 1000 year old churches and much trading history. Tommorow we are back on our bikes riding along the Mosel River. We found a great map (in english) which should guide us to the best sites.

Tags: The Law

Comments

1

Hi Guys

Winnipeg update:
The bombers won yesterday- Glenn got hurt- ( knee )
It was super nice out today, very warm.

I can't believe you have done that much biking already that sounds tiring but it sounds like the great scenery is making it worth it.

We have practice tomorrow, hopefully we get a good turn out.

Take care you two.
Shannon :)



  Shannon R Sep 17, 2007 1:24 PM

2

Hey, you two!

You've both been on my mind a lot since your big departure and the start of another school year . . . I can just imagine those biking aches and pains as I just tried to play b-ball last night and feel like a cripple today! Soak up that beautiful Mosel valley--it's one of Mon and my favourite places.

Keep your heads up!

xoxoxlots of love,
Shan

  Shannon Jonassen Sep 19, 2007 1:02 PM

3

Hey guys!
Well we had practice last night, and Im happy to say that it meant much better than last week. Team moral was much higher and we were just having fun! Seems like your trip is amazing, im so jealous!! Hope everything is going fine and you guys are having fun!

Carole

  Carole Sep 20, 2007 4:11 AM

4

Hey Ladies; I've been thinking about how you two have been doing, and it sounds great! take care of each other...another beautiful fall day here. Zoey says "HI"
S

  Susan B Sep 20, 2007 11:18 AM

5

Hello Sisters!
We were in Germany at the same time - how did we miss you - I thought those European countries were little!! We got home the day before yesterday. Our trip was awesome and much to my surprise (and delight) we had not one single problem/incident so all of my anxiety was just me worrying about nothing! Glad to hear you're doing well and developing "thighs of thunder". Paul's now in campaign mode - there are 4 people running for mayor and 10 running for 6 council positions - Stony Plain hasn't had a race like this (maybe) ever. Love that democratic process. Kids are all doing well; have only seen Jeremy and Lana so far.
Lots of love to you both.

Dodi

  Dodi Sep 21, 2007 11:45 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.