Existing Member?

Wanders of the World

August 19, 1942

FRANCE | Saturday, 13 October 2007 | Views [572]

Amy:  We have learned a lot about the role Canadian Soldiers played in the war.  On this date, 5,000 Canadian soldiers attacked German positions in and around Dieppe.  The sole intention of the attack was to determine the feasibility of taking a port intact.  This was necessary if the allied forces were going to make a full scale attack.  The information learned from this mission was instrumental in the planning of the successfull D-day mission, on the beaches of Normandy, that led to the end of the war.

Today we went to the Canadian War Cemetary and saw various monuments that reconnize the contributions that Canadian soldiers made.  I was a little surprised that visiting th cemetary was a little emotional.  It has been very educational travelling along the coast and seeing all the monuments and even some structures that we think were bomb shelters or gun positions. 

Since Patti`s last entry we did a 50K ride that had kilometer long climbs,  we did a 50 K ride that ended due to extreme rain and wind and we did a 75K day that ended in Treport.  We have eaten great meals of shrimp and bread and I have indulged in some good wine and I tried another Belgium beer.  It was Duvel but I didn`t like this one too much.  We are back in McDonalds for the free internet and thought we would do a quick update.  Happy Belated birthday Marie, we thought of you often on the 11th.

From here we head to Paris, we hope to be settled in a campground just outside of Paris by Tuesday night. 

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.