Existing Member?

Wanders of the World

Day Trip to Dover

FRANCE | Monday, 8 October 2007 | Views [646] | Comments [4]

Patti: We took yesterday as a bit of down day as we had just ridden a 100 km ride the previous day. It was all on flat land along the north sea coast of Belgium and then into the northern part of France. Aside from losing our way in a couple of towns and with the help of locals offering directions (AGAIN!) we found our way to a place called Gravelines without incident. It was a quick overnight camp before we carried on to Calais, which was just a short ride so we arrived early in the afternoon. It was early enough to watch some kitesurfers along the amazing shores here that seem to go on forever. One of the reasons we decided to find our way to Calais is because it has the shortest ferry crossing to England. So we took advantage of that and with an internet booking, it was only 6 euros each for us to get a return ticket with our bikes to Dover. The bikes have been great for quick day trips into cities as most of the historical areas are not very big so we get to see the highlights in a day. We saw the white cliffs of Dover and spent the rest of the day at Dover Castle. It has a pretty amazing history going back to the 12th century. It also played a major role in WW II strategy evacuations of Dunkirk, France. These last few days have been very focused on the history of both World Wars and we have been getting quite the education. It certainly reminds us of how lucky we are to live in Canada. We ended our day thre with a supper of fish and chips.

I am missing being home but enjoying lots of the experiences here. I'm a little sad about our timing being here on the coast as the beaches are the most amazing I have seen and the weather just isn't warm enough to take advantage of them ( it's sunny but only about 17 ° c). On the other hand, if it was prime season I'm sure we would be overun with other tourists so it's probably all for the best. We are heading for Dieppe next which should take us 2 or 3 days of riding.

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Hi Gals,
Mom and I just finished looking at all of your Belgium photos. Some muddy asses there!! We had Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and there were 18 of us including 4 kiddies (Lana and David's 3). Mom said to say the meal was good - I guess it was Ok - no one complained! We are going to Andrea's today so Mom and Dad can see her place with furniture. I've been getting the 2 "serfs" to do a lot of jobs around here - it's great. They're even going to do some volunteer work for a dinner for the Japanese students tomorrow - and she thought I'd get tired of having them around - hah!!! Glad to hear your trip continues to go well and I'll be in touch often - I've got the time, you know! Love you both. Stay safe.

Dodi

  Dodi Oct 9, 2007 3:23 AM

2


Hi There

Winnipeg Update: Cold and rainy all day
Bombers lost on Friday night!

I can't believe how many places you have been already since you started your trip.

Happy Thanksgiving- were you able to find some pumpkin pie on your travels?

Shannon



  Shannon R Oct 9, 2007 9:52 AM

3

Hey,

I am enjoying your journal and especially the very catchy by-lines! It has been hot here - certainly beach weather, but it is starting to cool off now, and I just rode home from work in a downpour so you're not the only ones caught in the rain lately!

Hope Dieppe is not too sad and that the fish and chips are delicious.

chat soon.

xo





  Chris Oct 11, 2007 8:21 AM

4

Hi. I think I might have finally figured out how to work this message thing. We have slowed down around our house because Max's football finished last week. He is in full swing with hockey. Carly is off on a weekend outdoor ed. trip with school this weekend. Heidi is in Prince Albert for the next few days and in Saskatoon next week. The basement is progressing well. I've just finished the 3rd coat of paint in Carly's room (Granny Smith apple green). My work school is going well and my school as a student (university) is also going well. I scored my first goal of the season in hockey the other night (we lost 9 - 2). Take care, hope this message gets to you.
Bob

  Bob Oct 16, 2007 1:46 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.