Existing Member?

bill h's "Adventures in Europe"

The "Adventure" Continues -- Re-entry to the USA

FRANCE | Thursday, 10 November 2016 | Views [662] | Comments [1]

Well, I made it back to the US, but not without some last minute “twists” to my ”adventure”.  

Getting up at 4:30am yesterday turned out to be a “piece of cake” — after that it got interesting.  
 
Arrived at the terminal at 5:45am for a 7:40am flight, found my way to the British Airways check-in counter in the basement only to learn that their computer system was “down” — so, in typical European fashion, how did the six BA employees working there decide to handle the situation — they took a coffee break — when they talk about Europeans being “laid-back”, they’re not kidding!
 
At 6:45, someone apparently decided the system wasn’t coming back-up so they started manually checking people-in — that meant communicating by telephone with someone somewhere who had a working computer — relaying each passenger’s information to this mysterious person — picture three agents sharing one telephone with the other three standing behind “supervising”.  Upon receiving approval for a passenger, the agent would hand the phone to the next agent, write out by hand a boarding pass, hand-tag the passenger’s luggage and place it on a carousel — then get back in line to use the telephone.  If it hadn’t been forty-five minutes until my flight left, and my still needing to clear “Security”, it might have been humorous — reminded me of a Three Stooges comedy routine — and I kept thinking “This can’t be the first time the computers went down — is how it goes each time?”
 
Next “challenge” -- once I had a boarding pass I needed to leave the check-in area and pass thru a turnstile — unfortunately, to pass through the turnstile, you needed a bar-coded ticket (not a hand-written one) and the turnstile was unmanned.  They ended-up directing us up to the main terminal Security area — of course the Security screeners had no idea what to do with passengers showing-up with hand-written boarding passes — again if it hadn’t been a time crunch, it would have been funny — the screener took each person’s boarding pass, walked over to, apparently, a supervisor, asked what to do, returned and waived that passenger through to the scanning machine, took the next passenger’s hand-written pass, walked over to the “supervisor”, asked what to do …. — you get the picture.  We all made it on board and the flight took-off about forty minutes late — fortunately, it was only about one-quarter full.  Being half-awake was probably what got us through this with no one “losing it”.
 
The flight itself was fine.  Transferring at Heathrow was pretty-much uneventful except in the boarding area where an older woman asked me to watch her carry-ons while she went up to the check-in counter — halfway there, she tripped and did a face plant on the marble floor.  Of course, they wanted her to go to their infirmary and get checked-out -- after talking with them for ten minutes, during which time another agent began boarding passengers, she refused, hobbled back, reclaimed her carry-ons and stumbled onto the plane.  The pre-flight entertainment was so much better than the crummy movies they offered on the plane!
 
Long flight — departed Paris at 7:40 — landed in San Francisco fourteen house later.  Arrived a few hours later at the house here only to find my car had a flat tire and wouldn’t start — not a huge deal, except -- I also found myself locked out of the house without a key (another story but not my fault) — and the sun was setting and the moon rising.  Fortunately, I had left a back-up key with a friend who showed-up a couple of hours later to let me in.  By then, I was ready for the day to be over.
 
Amazing the things you hallucinate about when you’re totally exhausted — like thinking that with all of the hassles on this return segment of my “adventure", it was Europe punishing me for leaving — or like hearing the news story that Trump was on his way to being elected President — when I heard that, I knew I was “losing it” and desperately needed to get some sleep!

Comments

1

Matt&"jeanette visited their son in the Netherlands, and soent22 hours leaving Brussels, to Newfoundland where they were detained, to washington , Philadelphia, and five hours to Newark, it was very tiring. I could never travel for that long anymore. The election stunned many people, and the protest marches and violence have never occurred after an election in our memory. The division and fears are very disturbing. Are you in SanFrancisco now-renting, or returning to Colorado soon? We have enjoyed your journals and photographs immensely, and appreciate the time that you spent doing this. Keep in touch, Sue


  Suzanne Calder-Stad Nov 12, 2016 12:12 AM

About billh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.