Existing Member?

Tales from the Scrapbook! This journal is mainly to post some photos of my travels.

Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 26 May 2008 | Views [411] | Comments [1]

During the May long weekend we headed up to Gloucestershire for one of the craziest events i have ever witnessed - the annual Cheese rolling tradition where people chase a lump of cheese down a near-vertical hill. The prize is they get to keep the cheese and get about 20 pounds (cost/benefit questionable to say the least!). The weather was ordinary to say and it made spectating almost as dangerous as the run itself. There wasn't anything to hold on to and if one person slipped it started a chain reaction - Lisa had one pretty big stack and ended up covered in mud for the rest of the trip!

There were some pretty massive stacks on the hill too and a few people were carted away in ambulances. People were basically sommersaulting 20 metres each rotation - unbelievable. By the time we left the car park became an absolute quagmire and all these cars had to be lifted out by tractor - classic!

To keep in line with the spirit of the day we stopped off at a great little pub in the Cotswalds and ordered cheese platters which went down a treat. When we got the hire car back to Heathrow we were going to be hit with a 107 pound fee for not filling the car - not surprisingly we promptly grabbed the keys and went to fill it up!

Comments

1

Ambulances! Blimey! Sounds like quite a spectacle.

  winmar Jun 8, 2008 1:28 AM

About aptyson


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.