Existing Member?

I wanna go Florida Stories and adventures from Around the World

Exciting Fraser Island

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 23 September 2008 | Views [1583]

If some days before we were in the epitomy of relax roasting in the sun while laying in the deck of the Habibi around the Whitsundays, the experience of Fraser Island is the absolute opposite.

 

The thing goes as such, if you want to visit this wonderful island in a rock-bottom budget style. You book a tour with any of the thousands of Fraser Island operators in Hervey Bay or Rainbow Beach. They make groups of 10 with all the budget-conscious backpackers (fashionable label, by the way) and pack them into steel-hard four wheel drives, a very bad map and a list with suggestions of places to visit. And that’s it thank you very much.

 

And of course, I very much bet that this combination can result in the worse holiday experience of your life. I can think about many reasons on the top of my head: the group you are packed with is horrible; you can’t agree on what to eat; you don’t like dirty experiences; you can’t stand the cold; you can’t stand the hot; you don’t like mosquitoes;  you are afraid of driving in uneven surfaces; your driver thinks he is Fittipaldi; you happen to drive into one of the many washouts along the beach; your cars gets painfully stucked in the sand; you are not aware of the dramatic tidal changes, … And that was without even thinking.

 

Ahumm… and of course, you decide to move your arms frantically while screaming in front of a dingo.

 

But in our case, happy and lucky people as we are, nothing like that happened. No doubt the thing was dirty, fast, packed and sometimes conflictive, but the sense of adventure derived from it made it an absolute success.

 

I need to say that in our group, besides the 3 catalans we were (my two friends and me) there were also three basque guys. Some of the few spanishies that I’ve met this year in Australia (in August there were many more, I must say), what made things funnier for us and I guess unfunnier for the rest of the group.

 

Things about the island: is packed of backpackers. Many of them. And the idea of putting hundreds of backpackers in a party mood driving hundreds of cars they don’t even know how is a bit savage. On top of that, is not that many places to go, so everything is packed. But it is fun, once you get over it.

 

Second. Is full of fisherman. Damn! How many fisherman!! But this is good because they spend several days and they fish much more that they can ever think about eating, so they are extremely generous with their fish. Australia is an absolute paradise, for fisherman, and they really liven up the myth of going fishing with the mates at any possible occasion.

 

On top of that, some factual information: Fraser Island is the biggest sand island in the world. This means that is all full of sand. The tracks are sandy and all the attractives have something to do with sand. The Indian Head (which is a rock), the lakes Wabby and Mackenzie or the Rainbow Valley are good examples of fantastic places in a strange environment.

 

If you have the chance, you should definitely go. In spite of the dingoes and all.

Tags: allwelcome, australia, fraser island

About allwelcome


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.