Existing Member?

I wanna go Florida Stories and adventures from Around the World

Beautiful Whitsundays

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 18 September 2008 | Views [1795]

Millennia ago I was telling you that some friends were coming all the way from Spain (sorry, from Catalonia) to visit us. So finally they came. And of course, to be a proper cicerone, I had to prepare a nice and eventful route for them.

 

Not to be too original, the biggest events of the eventful route were the mandatory cruise around the beautiful Whitsunday Islands, and the no less mandatory 4WD trip in the wild of Fraser Island. And these two events will be the ones narrated in the two next posts.

 

It seems they are uncountable operators in Australia that offer you the typical East Coast pack, consisting on Whitsundays + Fraser Island. Some of them even add stuff in Cairns and Missiom Beach, but the most common one is still the first one. All of them seem to have more or less the same, at the same price (300$ + extras). We got ours through the Magnums Backpackers in Airlie Beach, and we are not insatisfied at all, so I can recommend it.

 

If there are uncountable operators offering boat trips, they are infinite boats serving these trips. The one who had the honour to carry us was the Habibi, a handsome and tight yacht with a nice and friendly crew. We were about 25 in the boat, so we were not necessarily spacious, but was more than fine for the two days and two nights we spent on board at the price that we paid.

 

Sailing the Whitsundays is probably one of the most relaxing activities you can do around. Doesn’t go much further than laying on the deck (if you find a free spot) and line up for the food when they ring the bell, while meeting fellow travellers from all around the world.

 

But is not just laziness what is all about. Whitehaven Beach is a stunning white silica beach. They say that is one of the top 5 beaches in the world, though I would like to know who and how is this ranking built. Undoubtably stunning. But not very active either.

 

The other main activity is to snorkel around a little bit. And doing it at seven o’clock in the morning should be considered something very active. Though technically not in the Great Barrier Reef, the sites around the islands are absolutely magnificient, and I didn’t feel it was worse (at all) than snorkelling outside Cairns. We even saw a huge number of huge wrasses (a big big ugly fish) swimming around us. I remember that in Cairns they said that, if we were lucky, we could see the one inhabitant wrasse of that part of the reef. So that.

 

And that was about it. Not an activity for adrenalie junkies, certainly, but absolutely beautiful for those who like the sea, who like to relax, or who like beautiful places.

 

Oh! And my friends also good, thank you!

Tags: allwelcome, australia, whitsunday islands

About allwelcome


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.