Existing Member?

I wanna go Florida Stories and adventures from Around the World

Curvy Coastlines

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 2 June 2008 | Views [1535]

Jett contemplating Dunk Island

Jett contemplating Dunk Island

The greatest thing about leaving Cairns for the less populated areas was the re-emergence of the stars.  Its one of the great healing sights for me and getting away from the electric lights of a town is a big positive.

Mission Beach - !!!

By far the most paradisiacal beach we’ve seen. Glory to the Creator for such a view.

Gentle lapping waves. The distant horizon an azure blue line dividing the crystal turquoise waters and the infinite blue sky above.  Just for beauty’s sake, you have the soft curve of the family group of islands to gaze upon, the most advertised one being Dunk Island.

If you’re from Australia, you’ve seen the brochures, the TV adverts of the hammocks, the diving, the couples, the children on the sands. Being, as I am,  a hardening cynic, I merely rose a ‘yeah I’m sure’ sarcastic eyebrow. However. Let me say it loud and clear, the place is just magic.

Of course, you can’t swim properly in the water on the mainland because of the stingers, and the water is a warm bath anyway, but hell, it looks good.

Our two favourite places along the coast so far are Cardwell and Thuringowa (including the Paluma Range).

Cardwell and Hitchenbrook  Island

I’ll be coming back to this area one day. Its sensational. We will do the Thorsborne Trail at a leisurely pace and swim in waters almost untouched by man but well populated by dugongs.   We all liked the area and it has to be added to the short list of places to return to at a later date.

We were both a little offended by the sudden heavy development at the Port.  Its manicured gardens and sweating garden staff  threw a conformity over the landscape that lay at odds to the natural beauty of the surrounds. But, there’s enough for everyone so it seems.

Thuringowa

Let us pause a moment to give thanks to such city councils. 

They offer FOUR FREE CAMPING spots along the BEACH FRONT of their province. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your friendly policy to travellers is appreciated greatly, and in consequence, your prosperity will grow. Blessings.

And don’t think that free means the locations are ugly. It’s a gorgeous stretch of beach with access to the Mangroves and if you want a little civilization, licensed cafes and such very close by.  I spent one evening laying on the beach looking up at the stars and discovered, by chance, that it was one of my top favourite things to do in the world. How about that? (And it was ‘free’.)

Its also the city council of the Paluma range. We drove the winding road to the pretty village of Paluma (not for the motion sickness threatened of our species) and encountered the surprising stone bridge and waterfalls of  Crystal creek. It is a gorgeous spot and deserved more time than we had planned. Surrounded in rainforest, with accompanying mossy rocks, the clearest water runs merrily along spreading its happy gurgle on its way.  The rock pools are deep and green.  It was just lovely.

The village of Paluma also deserved a bit more than we gave it, but we drove up there a bit too late. Of course, we didn’t expect it to be so lovely and so to our taste. They have an environmental research centre up there and seems to be a little haven for naturalists and bird watchers.

The area was a highlight of our trip. Its value has increased two fold since leaving the area because at the time of writing,  we are trapped by rain and are huddled in our van contemplating life back in the suburbs (but with 24 hour internet and Grand dad’s espresso machine within easy reach).

Tags: allwelcome, beaches, t a j

 

About allwelcome


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.