Existing Member?

I wanna go Florida Stories and adventures from Around the World

Byron Bay – the place of spontaneous hand stands

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 20 March 2008 | Views [5222]

if they can, so can I

if they can, so can I

Strike me down, but it was a bit of a surprise.  There, on the beach, three different groups of men were throwing their legs into the air as lightly as any 6 year old girl.

And I thought, well then, if they can, so can I.

And voila. With the invention of the camera, I can prove it. Me with me feet in the air.

Getting back to Byron.

We drove down from the Gold Coast for a few days of camping before the Easter madness. (That’s one of the POSITIVES of home schooling Jett – we miss the crazy rush of lets holiday NOW fever)

I had the bright idea of bringing a children’s book of jokes with us. Needless to say I won’t do that again. It even had Jett (our 8 year old) sighing.  Ie – Knock knock. Who’s there? Mary. Mary who? Merry Christmas.

We arrived, with little event, and yes, erected our tent. See my previous post for our exploits there. We stayed at Suffolk Park. I was happily surprised with its consistent low level noise. Really a benefit for me.

We listened to the roar of the waves at night. Jett actually said it stressed him a bit, but I found it soothing. Albert said it wasn’t like the Mediterranean Lake at all, either, where one can distinguish between waves.

And as I said, we arrived on the beach to the sight of men doing hand stands.

Byron Rocks. We dig it. It’s a jive place. Happening, and all that, yeah baby.

Honestly, when I woke to do my sun salutations, and found half the beach populated with weirder folk than I, I was reminded of our experiences in Varanasi. Hit me baby one more time for our trip there.

So, could Byron be the Aussie Varanasi??? The most easterly point of Australia. Where people feel free to do eating the sun exercises, yoga and more hand stands than you can shake a sikh’s trident at?  Instead of burning corpses, we bake alive bodies in the sun. (was that a controversial comment? – I’m never sure when I cross the line, please feel free to shoe me back in to my box if you think so)

One last point. About  Albert.

He says ‘where’s the big brown?’

‘the what?’

‘the big prounn’

‘huh?’

‘you know, the big fish thing, the shrimp’

Its at these moments that I metamorphosis into dr Evil.

‘fa ther’

Tags: byron bay, camping, camping

About allwelcome


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.